Our Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

Interview with Regency Author Heather Boyd


There's something special about the first connections you make as a writer, at least for me. When I began writing, I found a wonderful little online critique group and formed some of my closest friendships with these ladies. At the time, none of us were published and we were pursuing the dream together. Now we all have books out and hardly have time to say hello, much less chat as we once did. 

Heather Boyd is one of those close friends I mentioned earlier. We spent many nights (my nights, her days since she lives in Australia) working out story problems, brainstorming ideas, and being each other's cheerleaders. So I'm super excited to have her here at Lady Scribes today celebrating the release of her newest novella, Miss Watson's First Scandal.

Samantha: Hi, Heather! Welcome to Lady Scribes and thanks for being with us today. I’m thrilled Miss Watson’s First Scandal is finally out. I had the privilege of reading your novella in the early stages, and it’s such a charming tale. I think readers are going to love it.

Heather: Thanks for having me on the blog, Samantha. It’s sweet of you to invite me to talk about Miss Watson’s First Scandal.


Samantha: This first novella in your Miss Mayhem series takes place in Brighton. Many Regency authors make mention of Brighton in their historical romances, but they often opt for the tried and true London setting. What drew you to Brighton and did you learn anything interesting during your research?

Heather: I love the idea of a regency era English holiday town, so different from Australia where 5 minutes on the beach in the sun can lead to blisters. Ok, maybe 10 minutes but you get the picture. LOL

Modesty in the regency era was really important so how do you swim in all those layers of clothing? For a lady requiring absolute privacy when sea bathing, she entered the water from a bathing machine (timber wagon) fitted with a canvas hood that could be lowered from the bathing machine and into the water, cutting off visibility to others and avoiding the brutal English sun. LOL


Samantha: What is your hero’s reason for coming to Brighton, and how does the intriguing Miss Abigail Watson upset his plans?

Heather: David Hawke is a workaholic banker and spends most of his time in London, but he grew up in Brighton and returns there each year for short summer holidays. Those holidays have been growing steadily shorter over the years. Meeting up with friends only once a year means he’s constantly surprised by the changes and Abigail is not the same girl he once knew. Here’s the blurb for Miss Watson’s First Scandal:

Overworked London banker David Hawke has two goals for his week in the seaside town of Brighton: one, demand repayment of a debt without losing a valued friendship and two, relax for the remaining holiday without further distractions—except he encounters his friend’s newly confident younger sister and his carefully made plans end. Abigail Watson is flirty, bold, and determined David will agree to her bargain and save her brother from debtor’s prison. But is her game to prevent him from calling in the debt, or are her sweet kisses a sign she is after a much greater prize instead?



Samantha: I’m jealous of the vast number of ideas you have for stories. It’s like you’re on robodial with your muse and she won’t stop calling. Do you recall how this story idea came to you?

Heather: Story ideas, at least for me, come from just about anything I see. It’s a curse and a blessing. There are just not enough hours in the day to do them justice. My folder of ‘maybe’ stories is getting thicker every month. For Miss Watson’s First Scandal, the story idea began from thinking of how to portray a really bad first kiss. I imagined it as awkward as possible and then wrote the rest of the story around that moment.


Samantha: Who is your favorite character in your story and why?

Heather: I do love my heroes. David Hawke tries so hard to be good and proper and Abigail just cannot keep away from him. A sweet girl with a first crush is just what David needed to avoid crusty banker bachelorhood.


Samantha: What’s next for you?

Heather: Next up for me is the release of the final novel in The Wild Randalls Series, Hunting the Hero. That book comes out September and I’m both excited and sad that their stories are over. The heroine of Hunting the Hero, Rosemary Randall, has given me quite an adventure to complete her book and I hope that the series fans will love her as much as I do. After that, November, I’m releasing the second novella in the Miss Mayhem series – Miss George’s Second Chance.


Samantha: Okay. Now it’s time for the lightening round… And since you’re Aussie, I tailored the questions just for you.

Vegemite: Yuck or Yum?
H: Yuck

Kangaroo or Koala?
H: Platypus (LOL)

Hugh Jackman or Chris Hemsworth?
H: Hemsworth. God he’s pretty.

Blue Mountains or Bondi Beach?
H: Bondi – I love the coast

Opera House or Car Racing?
H: I love the V8’s Supercars.

Favorite Yankee: Me or Me? (Hahaha… Just kidding! I withdraw the question.)
H: Really? You don’t want me to answer that? LOL My favorite Yankee is ….

Samantha: You tease! It’s good to see you again. I’m so glad you stopped by and congratulations on the new release.

Heather: Thanks so much for having me on the blog today Samantha and everyone. I’ve got a question for your readers with the lure of a chance to win an ecopy of Miss Watson’s First Scandal. I’m between novels right now and need advice on what to write next. Which do you prefer to read in historical romance - series or standalone novels?


Author Bio:
Heather Boyd is the author of sizzling romance with an historical bent. A fan of regency England settings, she writes m/f and m/m stories that push the boundaries of propriety and even break the laws of that time. Brimming with new ideas, she frequently wishes she could type as fast as she can conjure up new storylines. Heather lives with her testosterone-fuelled family north of Sydney, Australia.

For more information visit: www.heather-boyd.com


   

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the book release. The answer to your question is easy........I enjoy series but every once and awhile a stand alone suits the purpose of getting over that reading dry spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. That's what I was wondering, too. Thanks for sharing and for the congrats.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the release, Heather! It sounds like such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Heather! I love series, but I like each book to feel like it's a stand alone story. I don't like to feel as if I'm missing something. EVER. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good point. I hate not knowing too. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Heather!

    Since I had the pleasure of reading an early version of your newest release I know it's great! As for your question, I'm like Samantha in that I like series, but I really want them to stand on their own. I don't want to feel I'm missing anything! Great to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. It was nice to be invited back. :)

      Delete
  5. Congrats Heather! It's a lovely book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra -- its made better by a great editor. Oh yeah, that's you. :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely to see you here at Lady Scribes again, Heather! There is something wonderful about a summer romance, isn't there? One day I hope to visit Brighton - along with Scotland, Wales, Cadgwith, and London (again!). Best of luck with your new novella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to talk to you too. My list of places to go just gets longer every year. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  7. Great interview ladies. The Platypus rocks!! I love a good series - but a novel by itself can be a very good thing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Platypus is the strangest creature isn't it? Thanks for commenting on my interview today.

      Delete
  8. Hi, Heather!

    Congratulations on your latest release. I’m betting Miss Watson’s story is going to be a terrific novel and I’m looking forward to reading it.

    Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Watson is very light-hearted and fun. Well, it was for me to write so I do hope you enjoy it. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Heather!

      I just heard from Samantha Grace that I have been selected as the lucky winner of your novel! I am so excited and cannot wait to read it. The synopsis of it sounds like just my kind of book!

      Thank you ever so much for your generosity. I couldn’t be more delighted. All the best!

      Connie Fischer
      conniecape@aol.com

      Delete
  9. Good morning and thanks for having me on the blog today. I hope everyone had a fantastic 4th July and have recovered sufficiently for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like both series and standalone novels. It's a lot of fun to follow recurring characters and see each one get their HEA, but it's nice sometimes to be able to just pick up a book and read it without worrying whether it's the fifth book in a series and I'll miss something. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. I've got lots to think about now before I start writing again. :)

      Delete
  11. I actually prefer standalone novels unless I can buy the whole series and read them all at one shot in sequence. Otherwise I find that I've forgotten too much & miss nuances.

    ReplyDelete