Our Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Magic in Movies

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm obsessed with magic. It all started in high school when the movie, The Craft, came out, starring Neve Cambpell and a few other people that no one's ever heard from again. It led me to buy books on Wicca and Witchcraft, to tamper with Ouija boards and attempt to summon spirits in haunted establishments. But I was always a little too "McGoo" to pull off the whole goth thing. And a little too lazy to become a fully practicing witch.

Still, that movie began a life-long love affair with magic in all its forms. Practical Magic, starring Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman, was another one that played a role in my obsession. And eventually Harry Potter, of course!

But then, as I grew older, I started to realize that there was "magic" and then there was "illusion." Now I'm kind of obsessed with both.

There are two fantastic movies that play with illusion: The Illusionist, staring Edward Norton and The Prestige, starring Hugh Jackman. These movies pushed my husband and I toward an obsession with illusion. We even got to go see an amazing magician in NYC named Steve Cohen who performs "parlor magic." It's a small, intimate gathering in the Waldorf Towers, and he performs some incredible illusions right before your eyes!

I was dumbfounded by his abilities -- I mean, there was no explanation for what he did (and what he knew!!) other than sheer magic. Until we met another of his kind. Another man who astounded us with his magical skills. And then gave his secrets away! No joke! He told us how he did it! All of it!

I have to be honest, I was at once disappointed and also kind of excited to know that I too could make people think I had magical abilities. And NO, I'm not going to give anything away to you guys! A true magician never reveals his secrets (unless he's *that guy* I mentioned above, of course)

So...I COULD work to make myself seem magical, but then that lazy thing creeps back in that I mentioned earlier, and I realize I'm happy just watching other people perform magic, especially in movies.

Which leads me to my final movie recommendation of the day: Now You See Me.

Eric and I loved this movie. We actually might pay to go see it again if it's still in theaters. Sadly, it didn't get very good reviews, so I don't expect it to hang around for long. But I think it's just misunderstood! They definitely stylized the acting, almost like they're video game characters. If you don't realize that, you might just think they're all bad actors. lol. But the plot and its twists are AWESOME! So if you love magic and illusion like we do, run (because like I said, it won't be there long) to the theater and enjoy!

And of course, this magic topic has a relevance in my real life right now, as I'm just about to release my newest book called THE MATCHBAKER. This book combines my love of chick lit with my love of magic, and I can't wait for it to hit the shelves! Here's the cover, because I'm nothing if not a tease ;)



So what about you? What are you favorite magical or illusional (is that a word??) films?

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed all of the movies you mentioned! I thought Hugh Jackman was so good in The Prestige. Great movie.

    I admit, when I was a kid, I wanted more than anything to be able to twitch my nose like Samantha on Bewitched and make things happen! :-)

    So looking forward to The Matchbaker! Cupcakes and magic? Way to combine all of your obsessions! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb,
    I loved Samantha on Bewitched. The only thing I never understood growing up was the reason Samantha put up with Darwood. I was on Endora's side. What mama would want her daughter married to a man that wouldn't let her daughter be herself? If not for her clever mind, he would have lost his job a thousand times over. Granted, usually it was one of her family member's magic getting him in trouble, but did he EVER have his own advertising ideas? And why couldn't she use magic to clean the house? Ugh. Turn him into a toad! LOL

    Jerrica,
    I can't wait to read The Matchbaker! I was in on the early stages and I'm excited to see what you did with the story. BTW, I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing about Darren. She could have had anybody! Why a boring dude like him?!

      Delete
    2. I know! He was way too uptight. Even the new and improved Darren was a bore. LOL

      Delete
  3. I have to agree that Bewitched was a cute show. It was fun and it was clean. Kinda hard to find that combination these days!

    Looking forward to reading “The Matchbaker.” It looks like a really fun novel to read. Oh, and wouldn’t it be fabulous to have her figure? Sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bewitched was great, but I also watched Sabrina the Teenaged Witch :) And by the way, I'm not certain Miss Matchbaker has ribs, so I wouldn't envy too much, lol!

      Delete
  4. So excited about this book, Jerrica!! And the cover is so gorgeous - all willowy and whimsical :) Best of luck with the release!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love Practical Magic!!! I watched that over and over again with my roommates in college! Oh, and your cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love movies and books about magic jerrica!!! I totally want to see Now You See Me!!

    And hello to that super cute cover!!! Love it!!! Cannot wait to read it! ;)

    ReplyDelete