Our Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Freshman 15...ahem, 30!

I got to thinking the other day about my loooooong history with weight loss and weight gain. I've been up and down more in my 35 years than...hmm, well, I can't think of a good comparison, but let's just say, I've yo-yo'd a lot. 

Me in high school -- look at that twig of an arm!!
I won't back all the way up to the first time I got chubby (3rd grade). Because I did eventually slim down (7th grade). And I was fairly tiny all through high school -- even though I totally thought I was fat at a whopping size 6.  I was 5 feet, 7 inches of awkward gangliness but that somehow transferred into fat cow when I looked in the mirror. If only I had known...

But let's fast forward a few more years. Let's take a skinny, suburban girl and plop her smack dab in the middle of NYC at the ripe old age of 18, with no one (ahem, Mom) sitting across from her at meals giving that warning look that says, "One more roll and you won't be able to fit into your prom dress."

I WAS FREE!!!

Free to eat whatever and as much as I wanted. And I did. So, here were the main culprits in my Freshman 15...

Broadway Bagels. That beacon of carbs and dairy that flashed at me every time I left the sketchy building my school called "dorms". Toasting my everything bagel to perfection and then slathering it with enough full-fat cream cheese to choke the damn cow it came from. Oh, and don't forget those newfangled Starbucks' bottled Frappucinos they displayed so prominently in the refrigerated case. Breakfast. Of. Champions.

Coronet Pizza. For those days when my classes started a little later in the day, giving me time to stop for lunch on the way. I needed to break up that mile-long walk somehow, didn't I? Yes, I did. And the best way to do it was with the largest slice of pizza known to man. Like, ever. Here, do this...put your elbows right up against your hips. Now lift them so they form a triangle out in front of you. That's the size of the slice of pizza I had several times a week for lunch. With a Diet Coke, of course! I'm not a total glutton!

Apple Tree Deli. Now this was for those looooong days when I had, like, 3 or 4 classes. I know, exhausting, right? I certainly could have gone to the Mitzi Newhouse Pavillion (that was our school's cafeteria) and gotten a salad, but why do that when I could go just across the street and have a giant chocolate chip muffin for lunch??  You see my point, right? In the battle of Salad vs. Muffin, Muffin always wins.

Me with the extra 30, though I think it mostly went to my boobs. I still have a twiggy arm!

So, there you have it. My Freshman 15. Geez, okay! 30!!!

Now it's your turn. Did you go food crazy like I did the second you got out from under your parents' roof? What were your weaknesses??


11 comments:

  1. Well, I did the opposite! I had the same heady sense of freedom, but I was on a huge campus in the middle of nowhere, with only cafeteria food to tempt me and a whole lot of walking to get where I needed to go. :-)

    Sounds like a diet plan I need to try again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lucky Deb!! I wish I had had that!!!

      Delete
    2. LOL. I agree, Deb. Maybe I should start walking for food again. That's the kind of motivation that might work for me. :)

      Delete
  2. Ha! I had similar problems to Deb. The only food within walking distance of my dorm was cafeteria food and Pizza Hut. Since I had worked for Little Caesars Pizza for the last two and a half years of high school, I wasn't exactly too keen on pizza. That left me with the cafeteria. :/

    I think I actually ate better foods during my college years away from home than I did living with Mom, or once I was on my own with a car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, you guys all lucked out!! I mean, I walked. A lot. But it just couldn't balance out all the bagels, muffins and pizza. Lol.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, The University of Texas is so big I didn't freshman fifteen because of all the walking! But when I graduated and got a desk job at a company that had free sodas and empty-carb snacks in the break room...yeah, I did a post-college 25ish lb gain. I finally took a deep breath and accepted that this was a trajectory that would continue unless I did something. I made enough changes that I quit gaining, and then after several years of testing different diet plans (spurred on as much by a medical condition as my weight, to be honest) I finally got down to where I'm happy! Now it's just about staying here.

    I keep thinking it would be cool to start a writer's support group for health. Not about losing weight; I think we as a society focus too much on that one issue. But about strategies for getting away from the desk to move around and eating whole foods instead of processed. Goal setting stuff like, "I want to do a pull up" or "I want to drink water instead of my afternoon soda." Things like that instead of "I want to lose 10 pounds." That goal never worked for me. But "I will use lettuce wraps instead of bread" is an action item I can follow through on. Whether or not someone loses weight from it (and a person probably would), s/he gets less bleached white flour and more vegetables, which is healthier. It's just so easy to sit at my desk for 8 hours a day eating potato chips while I write, and regardless of my waistline, that's not good for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerrica,

    Love this! I was a chunky kid that puberty turned skinny. Thank God! I shot up at about 12 years old and was thin until I had THE BOY. Now, it is a constant struggle to maintain weight and even harder to lose. Ugh! Boys are the devil! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Andris. My girl did the same to me. Then I lost most of it only to gain back some of it and now I've plateaued just 2lbs away from my pre-baby weight...3.5 years later!! Lol.

      Delete
  5. Jax, I love that idea!! My husband and I made huge transformations to our diets over the last couple years. We've moved toward organic, whole foods, cut out a lot of gluten and dairy, and we're healthier than we've ever been. I'm not the *thinnest* I've ever been, but that's ok. I would love to help other people make the shift that we've made!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I put on the Freshman 15 when I started writing! My biggest weaknesses are dips and anything TexMex!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh lord, Jerrica- I had the freshman 40!!

    ReplyDelete