Our Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

The Trouble with Goodbye

I've been blogging with Lady Scribes for almost a year now, and have really loved being part of the community of readers and writers that drop by every day. But, unfortunately, it's time for me to part ways with these lovely ladies.

Not FOREVER.

I'll still be writing the occasional guest post and swinging by to comment on others' blogs, but having a regular spot here just isn't clicking with my life right at the moment. 

Thinking about my departure from Lady Scribes got me thinking, and I realized something about myself. I hate good-byes. I never say them. I always say "See you later" or "Talk to you soon", even when I know it's not going to happen. Even as a kid, I never said it.

Good-bye is so definitive, and if there's one thing I'm certain of, nothing is certain. ;) So, I'm not going to say good-bye or farewell or drop my mic on the way out. I'll be back, so instead let's leave it at "See ya later, alligator". 

And speaking of goodbyes, what are some of the most memorable goodbyes you've seen in a movie or show, or read in a book? They can be sad or funny or maybe neither! The one that always made me cry was when Steel Magnolia's M'Lynn was saying her goodbyes to Shelby in the hospital, after they removed life support. Saddest dang thing I've ever watched. I think I've seen it at least eighteen or nineteen times, and yet, I cry every time I watched it! I don't know if I can think of a funny one. Can anyone recommend one for me?

XOXO,
See you soon...
Olivia




9 comments:

  1. Oh no! I do not like goodbyes. Let’s just know that rather than seeing you here every day, we will wait for you to visit now and then. Anyway, we know where to find you at your website and via your books. All the best, Dear Lady, and continued success! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Connie! I appreciate the support, and the sentiment. <3

      Delete
  2. Olivia,
    I hate goodbyes too. Like you, I rarely say it even if I feel certain I'll never see the person again. Maybe because the people I carry in my heart will always be there.

    I think one of the most memorable movie goodbyes is from Casablanca. "Here's looking at you, kid." Oh! And Gone With the Wind!!! "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." And ET! "I'll be right here." :)

    So the only two that fit you leaving are "Here's looking at you, kid" and "I'll be right here", although the second might be presumptuous of me. LOL. I definitely give a damn, so I'm glad it's not really goodbye. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, I forgot about ET! That was a sweet goodbye.

      And really, with the invention of social media, is it EVER goodbye anymore, lol? Now, it's more "Goodbye on blog", "Hello on Facebook"! *G*

      Delete
  3. Ack! Samantha stole my favorite good-bye! Blast her for being faster than me. ;)

    But I think Rick Blaine's good-bye to Ilsa Lund in Casablanca is the best/saddest good-bye in movie history.

    "I've got a job to do too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now. Here's looking at you, kid."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you kick me the next time I see you if I confess I've never seen the movie? Never. I have NO idea why! I've always MEANT to... ;D

      Delete
    2. Oh Olivia! I will definitely kick you. How can you not have seen Casablanca?!? It is - truly - my favorite movie of all time. L-O-V-E it! :)

      Delete
  4. Whaaaah~ Not you two... We've already lost two other authors and now a third. Awwww I felt like I haven't even been here for that long and everyone is already leaving. But it has been good having you here, and of course blogging to us and sharing about yours and other lovely books!

    A memorable ending I remember huhh... It's not a good one I'll say, it was the departure of Lady Sybil Branson (nee Crawley) and Matthew Crawley from Downton Abbey!!! I was mortified, sadden, and heartbroken. I still can't re-watch those scenes when I re-watch the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so sad to lose Olivia! But she'll be back from time to time with guest blogs.

      I'm with you about losing Sybil on Downton Abbey. She was my favorite and I can't watch it without her now. ;)

      Delete