Our Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

And Life Marches On…Sort of.

The Twin Towers (Photo credit below.)
This blog today was inspired by the fact that today is September 11. Yesterday, my son told me he needed to wear red, white and blue to school. Naturally, being an overworked, sleep-deprived mom, I asked why. My child gave me a long, shuddering sigh and reminded me that tomorrow was September 11.

That’s all it took.

“Mom, tomorrow is September 11.”

Five words. Nothing else needed.

I could never forget the importance of September 11, 2001. I immediately recalled where I was the day of the attacks, how I found out and how I felt. I didn’t know anyone personally who died on September 11, but it affected me greatly.

Misty eyed, I sat down to write this blog.

Let me just stress that I don’t feel I can adequately comprehend the pain and suffering of those who lost someone that day, because I myself did not lose someone. This inadequacy makes me hesitant to talk about September 11, but I couldn’t ignore the day just because I worry I may not sufficiently capture how monumentally it touched me.

I live in Alabama but on that day I was there in spirit with those who live in New York and all those countless people who lost their loved ones. I lose track of the date sometimes, because life is so busy and seems to march on, even in the aftermath of devastation. Yet all it takes is someone saying two words―September 11, and I remember―

The faces.
The heart wrenching sadness.
The smoke.
The sirens.
The fear.
The phone calls.
The fire.
The Twin Towers.
The airplanes.
The police.
The firemen.
The nurses.
The everyday heroes.
Going home to my family and holding them closer and tighter.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I can speak for me. I will never forget. Life may march on but it marches a little differently, doesn't it.


Photo credit below.
I wish for a wonderful today and an even better tomorrow, and I hope this day finds healing for all who have lost and all who have found or struggle to find the courage and the strength to pick themselves up, put one foot in front of the other and join back in the march of life. Keep walking my friends!

Photo Credits - photo credit: wstera2 via photopin cc
photo credit: wallyg via photopin cc


11 comments:

  1. Even 12 years later, I'm brought to tears reading your blog, Julie. Like you, I didn't lose anyone in 9-11, but my heart still aches for everyone who did. I hope for healing for everyone, and love and solidarity for our nation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely tribute, Julie. I'm grateful I didn't lose anyone either, but I clearly remember my own shock, fear, and sadness that day. I can't imagine what the families went through, especially those holding on to hope they would hear from their loved one but never did. It makes me sick and angry all over again. I am both sad and relieved my children don't fully understand the tragedy our nation lived through on this day. I pray we never face another 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a native of Long Island, New York, I will never forget. The horror, 12 years later, is still fresh. 2 years later, my husband and I watched as our youngest son graduated from Army Basic Training on Sept. 11, 2003. We all remember in our own way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Nancy. We do all remember in our own way.

      Delete
  4. We were in the thick of it; my children saw the planes hit, people streamed off the Brooklyn Bridge in front of my office, our firehouse lost 5 men, and we lost people who we knew,parents of my children's friends and neighbors who never came home.
    I can never forget that day and the sad, sad weeks that followed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy,
      I thought about you when I was writing this blog. I'm so sorry for your loss and I know you remember in a way I cannot fathom. I'm sending all my positive energy to you, your family, friends and loved ones today.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Julie-that means a lot to me. :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely post, Julie.

    I, too, will never forget that day. Eric and I lived just outside of NYC, with a clear view of the skyline and the Twin Towers from our windows. Eric's dad called first to say a plane flew into the tower. Eric said, and I quote, "Eh, somebody probably just nicked it." We rolled back over to go back to sleep when *my* phone rang. It was my dad urging us to look out the window. In that very moment, the second plane hit and we could see the second stream of smoke billowing from the second tower.

    It didn't take me long to remember that one of our best friends was supposed to be on a flight to CA that morning, but thankfully, though she was *on* the plane, it never got off the ground.

    It was a horrendous time for all of us, whether we were in the city or not. It changed us, as individuals and as a nation. I will definitely never forget that day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jerrica,
    I can't imagine the terror and stress of living through it. Knowing you as I do, I'm sure you brought so much hope to friends and loved ones you know who lost someone.

    ReplyDelete