Our Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Don't Blink or You'll Miss It


Today is my first blog post with Lady Scribes and I thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself. I write paranormal and contemporary romance for Sourcebooks. If you like a sexy alpha male hero and sassy heroines, then I do hope you'll check out my work. I've got all kinds of info on my website, come on by and learn more about my vampires and shifters.

However, above all else, I’m a wife and mother.

I married my college sweetheart and next week we’ll celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary but it’s hard to believe it’s been that long. I sometimes wonder where the time has gone and how on earth almost two decades have passed since we took the leap into married life.

Truth be told, our married life quickly became family life with the arrival of our first son just ten months after our wedding.  Three more boys followed over the next few years and to say life was chaotic would be an understatement.  With four boys under the age of six, there were days I didn’t know my own name…let alone theirs.

Having four small children was nuts but it was also wonderful and it went by in a blink.


Let me clarify that.

At the time, when I was neck deep in diapers and toddlers, it did not go by quickly. There were several moments that I wondered if they would ever grow up. Would I ever have time again to sit quietly and enjoy a book, take a shower without interruption or watch a television show that didn’t involve animation or large stuffed animals?

There were times when I was convinced it would never happen…but it happened.

I recall a conversation with my mother when I voiced my concern and she said, "Remember, they won't be this age forever."

Once again, my mother was right.

On Monday, my oldest boy started college and it was a bittersweet moment. I’m immeasurably proud of him and I’m excited to see what he’ll do and what kind of contributions he’ll make the world. However, there’s a twinge of sadness as he spreads his wings.

Our family outings are more often for a party of five rather than six. As my second boy, who is a sophomore in high school, also begins to expand his horizons, our group dwindles to four…and soon it will just be the two of us again.

I watched an old video recently when the boys were 7, 4 and 18 months and it evoked a swirl of emotions.

It was loud, chaotic and crazy, so part of me thought, “That poor woman.” 
(If you're feeling brave...have a peek but make sure your volume is turned down.)




However, a surprising ache bloomed in my chest as the video played out. I wanted to reach into the screen and grab them, scoop them up, kiss those pudgy cheeks and blow raspberries on their tummies. 

They still let me hug and kiss them—unless we’re in public--but I’m pretty sure they’d bug out if I tried to blow raspberries on their stomachs. The soft, pudgy limbs have been replaced by hairy man-ish legs and the round faces are beginning to get the sharp angles of adulthood. They’re not men yet but they are certainly well on their way and I couldn’t be prouder.

The days of diapers are behind us and we’re in the wild jungle of the teen years, which comes with it’s own set of….stuff.  However, you’ll hear no complaints from me because it’s glaringly clear how fast these next few years will go.

I hang on to the morning hugs I still get from my twins and I relish the quiet moments of conversation I get to have with my fifteen year old. I remind myself to stop and really listen when my too-cool-for-school college man wants to share his day with me.

I will cling to every minute and savor this time because soon…they’ll be off into the world. 

I’ve learned a lesson from my past: Don’t blink or you’ll miss it.

And I don’t want to miss a thing.

13 comments:

  1. Welcome Sara! So glad to see your first post!

    Oh,the irony of reading this post on this morning, of all mornings. :-) I admit, being in the midst of the chaos, I'm looking forward to missing some aspects of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! There are some things I don't miss. LOL.

      Delete
  2. It's great to have you join us, Sara. :)

    Aw, so sweet. You had your very own hero starter kit! The time does fly by and I try to enjoy each moment. I wish I had been less stressed out when my son was little and less sleep deprived when my daughter was a baby, so I could have enjoyed those years more. But I love having older kids and I know I appreciate the time with them more now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on all counts! Thanks again for inviting me to be a part of this powerful group of authors. :)

      Delete
  3. Absolutely, good to remember, Sara! I wanted to share the joy of being with my parents too before they were gone, and was glad I did. Now my kids are married and living far away. So every visit is cherished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, enjoy every little moments with your kids because they grow up so fast, and then one day, they are gone to live their own lives. Mine live far away and like Terry, every moment I see them , become so precious. Glad you can cope family and career!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Sara! Now I'm sitting at my desk at work, crying and hope no one needs to come in to talk to me. Blubbering is always so hard to explain in the workplace. ;)

    My son just started his sophomore year in high school too. I've always been a savor every moment kind of person. "This is his first lost tooth." "This is last day of elementary school." "This is his first day of high school." I could go on and on. I'm sure I drive him insane. And as he gets more and more involed in his own life - and is sometimes a little grumpy - I look back at those pictures when he was so much younger and have no idea where the time went.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Sara, how right you are. I just sent (after receiving a pitiful text message) a box full of a huge bottle of honey and two kinds of homemade cookies to my youngest, who is now a sophomore in college. Her sister is a junior at a different college. My son is 27 and long a grown man. I, too, had those moments when it felt like they would be infants, toddlers or preschoolers forever. Then, sometime around 3rd grade, time starts zipping by.

    It was really bad because there was only one school year between the girls. When they were in high school, it felt like a five-year mad dash...then it was over. Forever. The girls are still home in the summers, but it isn't the same. They have jobs and friends and more important things to do than hang out with me and their dad and explain what twerking is and why anyone finds EDM worth listening to. I'm glad you are trying (though they don't always make it easy) to enjoy the teen years. Soon enough you'll find yourself with empty bedrooms and no idea what to do with them.

    I hope to sell our house as soon as the girls finish college!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to see you here on Lady Scribes. I’m looking forward to reading more of your blogs.

    What a wonderful family you have and you are so right to want to savor every moment you can with them. We’ve heard it a gazillion times and it’s true. They DO grow up so fast and then they are off on their own pursuing their own dreams. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may be feeling a wee bit emotional today, but this is making me cry. My 2 kids are 21 & 14 and I do miss the baby & little kid days. My younger one doesn't even want to be seen with me at the mall! Sounds like you are doing a great job. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL Welcome Sara! So glad to have you on board as a Lady Scriber!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I'm late to the party, but its so great to see you here, Sara. I've always loved the Lady Scribes and you make it all the better! I agree about time passing. When I think my son is a junior in high school and my daughter is a junior in college, I almost want to shout-"Stop the merry go round-i want to get off!"
    Can't wait to read more from you in the future

    ReplyDelete