Our Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

Motherhood: Surviving Three


I’m not gonna lie. I’ve been bested by a 3-year-old. She’s whipped me. This tiny, tiny monster walks around my house, masquerading as a cute little girl, but more times a day than I can count she lets her true colors show. A fork just went flying across the room, a meatball covered in sauce just hit the deck, a blood curdling scream came from the bathroom upstairs… And I no longer feel like a human -- I feel like Damage Control. That’s about all I’m here for. There’s not much time for “real” fun, because I’m cleaning up messes or waiting out a tantrum (thrown because I somehow, after five attempts, just cannot get the ponytail right), or too busy saying, “No!” or “You know better than that!” or “What were you thinking?!?!” or “Eat your dinner/Sit down in your chair/We don’t lie down while we’re eating” or “Please stop flashing your vagoona to everyone in the department store!”
So, while I would love to post a blog that is profound and thought-provoking for you, dear readers, I just don’t have the brain power right now. I’m too busy trying to figure out how I’m going to make it through the Nightmare Threes, and wondering if the 4s are any better.
The good news is that I know I’m not alone. One of my favorite things is from comedian Jason Good’s blog entitled 46 Reasons My Three-Year-Old Might be Freaking Out. I relate to so many of them, especially A balloon he got 6 months ago is missing and I gave him the wrong blue crayon. GOD FORBID!!

Here’s my own truncated list of Why My Three-Year-Old Might be Freaking Out…
Her dress doesn’t go all the way down to the ground
Her ponytail isn’t high enough
She didn’t actually want a high ponytail, she wanted a bun, but didn’t know the word for it
I didn’t have the appropriate accoutrements for a bun
The hot dog tastes different
The broccoli has butter on it
The bread has butter on it
The bread is toasted
The bread isn’t toasted
There’s not enough syrup for her waffles
There’s not enough water in the cup
There’s too much water in the cup
She can’t hear Caillou
Caillou is too loud
She wanted cream cheese on her bagel
Not that cream cheese

If I sat here long enough I could come up with tons more, but as I mentioned before, she’s worn me down, and I’m exhausted. So help me, fellow moms – and non-moms, too, because I’ll take all the help I can get – what do I do? Is there a magic wand I can wave to turn my monster back into an angel? Or should I just go ahead and stock up on the booze now?

7 comments:

  1. Jerrica, I have one word for you. Seventeen.

    *Head desk*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't tell me that, Deb! Did you at least get some good years in between?? LOL!

      Delete
    2. Mine weren't too horrible at 3. Eldest went through a 3 week phase (after seeing Disney's Peter Pan) where I had to call him Pee-tah, and he called me Wendy. He also developed a fascination with mustaches. We had many different home made fake ones. :-)
      Youngest's biggest deal at three was that he refused to talk. A couple years of speech therapy and now he won't be quiet. LOL.

      Delete
  2. There's a reason happy hour was invented. ;)

    I thought age 3 was much more difficult than the 2s with both of my kids. I don't know why everyone talks about the terrible twos. One thing I noticed with my kids is just when I thought I couldn't take one more day of whatever they were doing, they stopped. Sometimes I would have to hide in the backyard to take a few deep breaths and remind myself that it wouldn't last forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting phenomenon, Samantha. I've noticed B will go from being a nightmare for a week or so to some kind of angel. But the angel behavior makes it all the more frustrating when she turns into the devil again. LOL! And I agree -- threes are way harder than twos!!

      Delete
  3. I have been working to firmly suppress the majority of my memories from when either of my boys were three.. I do remember the time was filled with "bra hats" at Wal-Mart, streaking around a public parking lot, peeing in the fountain at the mall and nine months where my son talked in third person. And these are the fonder memories.

    I can honestly tell you that it doesn't last forever and you'll survive. Just be sure to document the more outrageous behavior to show her pictures of it when she's older and threaten that if she doesn't behave YOU'LL act that way in public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, Rose! Your son peed in the mall fountain?!?! That's hilarious! The third person thing is pretty funny, too. LOL!

      Love the idea of documenting it all to use as a threat later. Genius!

      Delete