Our Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Nice to meet you

Hi, everyone. While this isn't my first post over here at Lady Scribes (you can see my guest post as a debut author here), this is my first post Baroness of the B├╝cherei and I think introductions are in order. You can read my bio, but I'm not sure that tells you much about who I am. So, here are some odd facts about me that should give you a little more insight.


  1. I have three different kinds of lard in my fridge right now. One is basic cheap lard for seasoning all my cast iron cookware. One is this lovely clean-flavored lard from the Old Havana Sandwich Shop here in Durham--makes the best pie crust ever. The third is from Roses Meat Market and Sweet Shop.  It's got a more savory, smokey flavor to it that is wonderful for roasted potatoes. If you can't tell, I like to cook :-)
  2. When in a funk, I read the entire Lord Miles Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold from start to finish. If you've not read the series, I highly recommend it. She had great character development, a complete and interesting world, good plots, and her books ask lots of interesting questions and make you think without you always noticing. You can start with Shards of Honor and read it in order (Shards of Honor and Barrayar together make up a science fiction story with a light romance) or you can read Komarr and A Civil Campaign. Komarr helps explain A Civil Campaign, which is a comedy of manners in space.
  3. I have four cats, but it was an accident, I swear! I had two cats like a normal person and was
    Pooka
    fostering dogs for a rescue organization. They needed a foster for two older cats (the cats were eight when I got them). Three years later, not a single person had asked to adopt these cats and--viola!--I now have
    Handsome
    four cats. It's hard to be too upset about it, because they are very pretty cats!
  4. I have a dog named Seamus, after Seamus Heaney. My Seamus used to be owned by a poet named Angus. Angus, upon learning that Seamus Heaney had a dog named Angus, named his dog Seamus. Despite being named after a Nobel Prize winner, my Seamus is not a very literary dog. He's just a good, Southern hound dog with a highfalutin name.
There's a bit of randomness about me. Tell me a little about yourself. Randomness welcome!

15 comments:

  1. Oh, Jennifer! Your kitties are SOOOO cute! I wanna pick 'em and squeeze 'em.

    Randomness about me...? Goodness. Everything about me is random. I'm trying to learn German. How's that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Baroness!

    Three kinds of lard is random indeed, but wonderfully cool, too.

    Random fact about me: I used to be left handed, but an accident forced me to adjust to using my right hand. I'm convinced this scrambled my brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a really hard switch to make!

      Delete
  3. Welcome, Jennifer! It's great to have you join us. Hmm... Random fact about me: I can parallel park better than my hubby and he has even changed places with me so I could park the car. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha, me too!!! Although, I went through a phase where I forgot how to parallel park and for several weeks, I had to have Eric do it. Isn't that weird??? lol

      Delete
    2. That's awesome. It's always nice to counteract a stereotype.

      Delete
  4. Who knew there was a lard for every occasion? I like to make my own pie crust for my spinach quiche, so I need to try the lard from Old Havana Sandwich Shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Plus they have tasty, tasty eats and really good coffee.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jennifer!! Welcome to Lady Scribes! So nice to meet you :)

    Something random...hmmm...I got nuthin'. Lol. We're moving in less than 48 hours, so my mind is GONE! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find your mind when you unpack!

      Delete
  6. Random. I have a degree in microbiology from NC State and a divinity degree from Duke. People ask me how both those things can live in my head. They NEVER ask why I don't also have a degree from UNC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can see how both those things live in your head but the lack of a UNC degree is appalling! ;-)

      Delete
  7. Hi Jennifer, welcome random fact I just went back to school for computer forensics after 20 yr

    ReplyDelete