Our Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

One of Those Days

I'm writing this at the end of a very long day--one of THOSE days.

I used to have those days all the time when the kids were little.  The days when you never got a shower because one spilled bottle of hair spray somehow led to the next kid digging ashes out of the woodstove and spreading them across the carpet.  (Yes, that really happened!)

Today I started out already behind, with more to do than I could possibly get done.  I had a writing goal that I got mostly done.  I did get briefly distracted by a Twitter discussion of the new Castle premier, but the real reason I didn't completely finish was because I had a lightbulb moment about one of my characters that I had to get down. A good distraction!

But then came the forgotten paper that must be emailed to school right away, the after-school I"m starving hours, the pages of college applications that must be discussed and dissected before they are entered, the missing work shirt, the discussion of how best to model a brain for school (I lost--one of the old bike helmets has been sacrificed in lieu of modeling clay) and the crap-I'm-missing-an-ingredient-in-the-middle-of-getting-dinner-ready moment.

Poor Valiant Husband got sent out to fetch vital ingredients and brain parts, I got to do the dishes, fold the laundry and figure out why new episodes of Adventure Time are not getting recorded as scheduled.

But it's all good.  I love my kids and my career, even if they do butt heads most days.  I'm NOT wishing my days or my kids away, so please no one lecture me.  I don't have time to listen.  I have to go post this blog and finish my words for the day.  And then I'm going to take a shower.

And tonight, I might consider squeezing in a coconutty girlie drink before bed.

What about you?  Do you have THOSE days?  Do you have dueling parts of your life?  What do you do to handle it?

20 comments:

  1. Days? Deb - I'm having one of those months, or maybe it's years.

    Seriously! I don't recall ever being so busy and I'm constantly worrying that I've forgotten something important. It doesn't help that it's my busy season at the day job right now too. I cannot take one more thing on my plate.

    As for coping...I haven't figured it out yet. Hopefully things will quiet down enough for me to be able to put my thoughts in order after I get back from Boston next week. That's the light at the end of my tunnel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Sometimes I wonder if I can hold it all together!

      Yesterday, Eldest asked me suspiciously if I read his paper when I had to touch his sacrosanct laptop and email it to him at school. LOL. Uh, yeah. 'Cause if I had a spare minute and a half that's what I would do with it. Spy on his AP English homework.

      Dumbhead. If I had a spare minute and half I have ten other better ways I could spy on him. LOL.

      Delete
  2. It must be nice to help your kids with their schoolwork. My parents never lifted a finger to do so. Nor did they help any on the college applications, except to fill in what their income was. I don't see how people with kids manage, both time-wise and income-wise. My hat's off to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Carol,. My parents weren't involved with any of that either. But it's a whole new world out there! :-) Parents are informed in ways that ours would never have dreamed of. Plus, when you have to make a model brain, somebody has to pay to for the supplies--and the kids aren't eager to part with their hard-earned cash to do so! :-)

      And as for college apps--they are NOTHING like what I had to fill out. They go on for days. :-)

      Delete
  3. Deb,
    It seems like I have one of those days over and over again. I was feeling pretty guilty about it Monday morning, because my son needs me to be more involved in his school work. His grades have slipped in a few classes, and I started thinking how unfair it is that my time is devoted to coordinating and helping others in my day job when my kids really need me. Then to top it off, I worked a 10 hour day Monday and didn't have time to run by the grocery store as planned and had to do take-out for dinner before my kids had music lessons. I was feeling a bit like a failure as a mom. Probably doesn't help that I have a writing deadline now too.

    Oh. well. Today's a new day. We'll see if I can pull it all off today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Samantha. I can't imagine adding another day job on top of everything else I have to coordinate and handle. You amaze me.

      I refuse to feel guilty about take out anymore. If we have to resort to that because of work/fencing/work/parkour/school activities etc, then I just try to choose a spot with healthy choices and move to the next thing.

      Delete
  4. You know, I never did get that girlie drink. I may have to make up for that at Lady Jane's Salon RDU tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I'll have one with you. :D

      Delete
    2. Me too! Yesterday I suggested to co-workers that we start drinking at 10am. I think it would take the edge off. ;)

      Delete
  5. Thank goodness my youngest is in college now, because it has cut down on the number of THOSE days I have. They still occur, but much less frequently. Thank goodness! When all 3 kids were at home, I felt like I did nothing well. NOTHING. It was horrible. Now, though, I think back and am amazed at all I was able to do, all at the same time. I was pretty amazing!

    I think in years to come, you'll be amazed that you were ever able to write or do anything besides the basics of life. It's true! We're all just fantastic jugglers and moms and wives and workers, whatever we're working on. These days my biggest conflict is figuring out if I have time to get my writing tasks done before my husband gets home and wants to resume the How I Met Your Mother marathon. We're only on Season 4! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always amazing, Caren! Yes, that's the feeling exactly, though--I'm doing alot, but worry I'm not doing any of it well. Sigh.
      Oh well, we soldier on!

      Delete
  6. Well I had this great reply but google ate it. And well I'll just summerize by saying I am sooo glad I'm not the only one!!! Now I'm behind schedule as it's one of those days again. Quick someone find a cure! We sure could use one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember that yoga website... ;-) OR just take a couple good and deep breathes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an ocean of calm, Jennifer! Actually I'm not really fried or anything, just very busy and continually triaging all the kabillion things on my to-do list. As long as I get a break every once in a while, I'm good!

      Delete
  8. I swear every day is one of THOSE lately. Whether it be the cars, the kids, school, or the dog, something is always chomping on my fluffy biscuits. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got more kids to juggle, Andris, and a dh with a high stress job, I don't know how you manage! Respect!

      Delete
  9. Got tons of deadlines, and tons of promo, and tons of other stuff that must be done. So I tend to forget some things. Drives me crazy. But I was really happy to learn that my daughter, who would look askance at me when I'd tell her I forgot something, is doing the same thing as a dietician for a major group of public schools, forgetting stuff, and so... it's just life. Go with the flow. :)

    ReplyDelete