Our Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Get your name in a book and donate to a good cause!

It's no secret that I'm a public librarian by day (much like Batgirl and Wendy the SuperLibrarian). The only thing I can think of that would be better would be full-time writer--and I'm sure I'd miss working as a librarian if *that* ever happened. Durham County Library has been incredibly supportive of my second job and I am taking the opportunity to thank them by donating the name of a minor character in my June, 2014 Harlequin Superromance, Weekends in Carolina, to the highest bidder in an online auction, all proceeds benefiting the Durham Library Foundation. You can name the character after yourself or give the name to a romance reading friend of yours as a gift. More information about the auction is available here. Hurry and get your bids in. The auction ends on October 31st at 8 p.m.

The Durham Library Foundation is a nonprofit that supports the Durham County Library by funding signature initiatives such as our Humanities Programs (check out videos of these programs here, I recommend this one in particular), the North Carolina Collection (we have an awesome photo archive of Durham history), and our Summer Reading programs.

The current (unofficial) back cover blurb of Weekends in Carolina is:
After the death of his alcoholic father, new landowner Trey Harris returns to his childhood home desperate to sell the farm and cut all his ties to Durham, North Carolina. If a developer razes the farm to the ground, even better. Standing in his way is Max Backstrom. She’s been farming the land now for five years and wants to buy it, but she can’t afford Trey’s price. The more time he spends at the farm, the more he is attracted to Max—and impressed by the changes she’s made to the land. He swore he’d never live in North Carolina again, but can he find happiness without Max?

I love public libraries. A good public library system is one of a community's greatest assets. So take the opportunity to brag a little about your public library. Tell me, what great things do they do for your community?


4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this initiative! For me, the public library has a special place in my heart. When my son was first born, and I was out of work due to medical hardship caring for him, we had NO money. As in next to nothing. There is no greater sense of guilt when everyone is buying their child everything without ever seeming to blink an eye...and enrolling them in programs that to me may as well have been college tuition. The local library offered a free school readiness (think pre-k program) where we'd go several times a week. He'd have crafts and music, and story time....and it filled our days with meaningful play...not just empty play. In addition, they would bring in weekly music classes for children and puppet shows...I always said when we got back on our feet that I wanted to give back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely! I'm glad your library could be there to help you when you needed us. Children's programs are often a library's greatest strengths.

      Delete
  2. We are so lucky here in the Triangle, to have wonderful libraries and dedicated librarians who work hard to provide all sorts of programs. The kids programs here are amazing. They've also been huge supporters of Romance, (like you, Jennifer!) but others too, like Karen Kiley, who is a big supporter of Lady Jane's Salon and does great writer programs and even Regency teas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you live in an area rich with wonderful libraries. All the Triangle counties have great library systems--and great library systems often occur because the area has people who support their library.

      Delete