Our Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Trick or Treat by Sara Humphreys

I have a love/hate relationship with Halloween. I love dressing up in costume (last year I was a flapper) and getting my boys geared up for whatever creature strikes their fancy is a blast. However, the temptation to eat the endless stream of candy is pure torture. Every year I tell myself that I won't eat my weight in Kit Kat bars but that's a lie.

A big fat chocolate covered lie.

 Eating five "fun size" candies is fun in the moment but later...it doesn't feel very fun. Y'know how it feels?

Fat. It feels fat.

Every year I leave the bowl of candy out on my stoop while I'm trick or treating with the boys, and  you can bank on the fact that it will be all gone when we get back. I don't mind that the candy is all gone, in fact I welcome it, but I'm convinced that one greedy little bugger comes by and dumps the entire bowl into his/her bag. One year I want to set up a camera and see if it is some 16 year old jerk wearing a lame mask with his regular clothes. You know it is.

When they were little, I made their costumes and I had so much fun doing it! My mom always made our Halloween costumes and they seemed so much cooler to me than the store bought kind. Although, that was back when the costumes from the store came in a box with a cruddy plastic mask. I will admit that today's store bought stuff is much better...but I still prefer homemade. The picture below is from Halloween 2003. That was the year that my oldest (the ninja) said to me, "Mom. Please don't cry but I don't want you to make my costume this year."



Needless to say...he got the store bought ninja. However, Leo wore the Macaw parrot costume I'd made a few years before but to add his own twist he carried a pitchfork and told everyone he was a Devil Parrot---if you knew Leo you'd know how perfect that choice was. The twins had coordinating dragon costumes and I went as a weary Mama pirate.


Watching my boys wear the costumes I made/helped put together/bought (depends on the year) is priceless and will never get old. Well, it won't get old for me but I'm pretty sure it's already getting old for my teenagers. However,  my twins are still into it.

Jack created a death dealer of some sort and he's feeling rather pleased with what he's put together. He loves Halloween and has expressed, on more than one occasion, that it's his favorite holiday. Good. I'll have at least one partner in crime as the years go by.


William is going as the "Life of the Party" which includes the lampshade hat as seen in the picture above. Tonight we'll be adding empty bottles and he'll be wearing a disheveled shirt and tie. I did tell him that this costume is an example of what NOT to do when he's a grown up.

On a side note, I do have a treat to share with my readers.



UNLEASHED (Book #1 Amoveo Legend) is currently on sale for only $2.99! It's a great opportunity to start the series and catch up before UNCLAIMED comes out in a few weeks.



Off to fight the candy fight. I hope you and your family have a fun and safe Halloween!

Dream on....



15 comments:

  1. Love the costumes, Sara!

    My son is doing what he always does for Halloween, working on an elaborate production for his grandmother's front yard with a group of friends. There's nothing they love more than figuring out new ways to scare the pants off Trick-or-Treaters. (Halloween is his favorite holiday as well.)

    When he was younger, we did the same trick with leaving candy in the bowl - but I never bought chocolate for that. Twizzlers and other hard candy. I figured nobody wanted a whole bowl of that. And I was right. There was always some left by the time we got home. ;)

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ava--That's a good idea to leave only Twizzlers. I'll have to try that next year. :) Enjoy the day!

      Delete
  2. I love your costume of the Roaring 20s! Each year, my husband buys those "fun size" candies" a month in advance. The problem is, that he doesn't eat chocolate but I do!
    I end up eating 2-3 with a cup of coffee in the evening. Then I am mad at myself! lol
    Well, at least, Halloween only comes once a year! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG...I do the same thing. Why does chocolate taste so good with coffee? Dang it.

      Delete
  3. WOW! Four boys AND you made their Halloween costumes. You should dress up as Super Mom!! But you looked fabulous as a flapper :)

    My kiddo is Belle today...she was Sofia the First for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween at Magic Kingdom on Tuesday. We'll see what princess she decides on for tonight. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. Sorry I didn't respond yesterday but Halloween madness took over. I loved seeing the little gals in their princess costumes and bet yours looked adorable.

      Delete
  4. Sara, I have the same love/hate relationship you do--only reversed. Because I'm a glutton. ;) I look forward to the candy but dread the costumes! My son picks out a costume every year and then refuses to wear it trick or treating. EVERY YEAR! The girls are easier but since I am not a crafty costume maker, they always want the expensive ones. Ugh! Just give me the candy already! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was such a glutton yesterday. OMG. I don't even want to look at another piece of candy. Ok. That's a lie.

      Delete
  5. Sara,
    I've wondered the SAME EXACT THING!!! I can't hand out candy because I usually Trick or Treat with my son and husband...and I put that bowl out wondering if one greedy bugger takes it all...or if the 'honor system' triumphs! Well this year, I'm on bedrest with my couch stationed right in the window, so I think I'll be a human camera and finally get some long-awaited answers! I am so a fan of the homemade costume...the quality you get for store-bought costumes is obscene. Our one rule is that the costume has to look Project Runway, NOT homemade because we do fear mean kids giving our little one a tough time...granted he's 5...but we still worry. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mean kids suck and sadly they're probably raised by mean adults. I hope your little one had a fab Halloween.

      Delete
  6. Sara,
    How fun! I'm with Jerrica, though. Four boys and you made their costumes? You are Super Mom. :)

    We never have a problem with all of our candy being gone. We think people are afraid of our house. Plus, it's confusing. The "front door" faces the road, but there is no sidewalk. I have no idea why the previous homeowners never put one in, but then again, neither have we. (blush) Then we have another "front door" by the long driveway behind the house. The few people who have braved a trek across the grass have gotten the Bejesus scared out of them by our Hell Hound, because I haven't figured out a way to keep her away from the door and barking like a mad dog. But I have trained her to go to a bay window to bark if someone comes to the other front door. So this year we are trying to lure people around to the back "front door" with glow in the dark signs and attempts to make the driveway less scary. We'll see if it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up, I lived in an area where the houses were so far apart we had to be driven around to trick or treat. I love our neighborhood because it's great for TT but we have two dogs that bark at EVERYONE. Hope it worked out for you guys this year :)

      Delete
  7. The places were always lived never got much trick or treaters… But then, hubby and I enjoy walking are sons around. We always give the boys their choices on what to be each Halloween. Hubby whines like a little kid when neither three wants to be anything scary. With my oldest being in his teens we always give him the choice if he wants to go. This year sucked. My middle son had wanted to be an anime character, his favorite. So I had to order it from a cosplay place. I ordered it October 4th it never got to me until the 29th. Friday it was “forwarded for delivery” in Columbus, Ohio which is two hours away… and you’d think it would arrive Saturday, nope Tuesday. So I had to throw something together for him for trick or treat. Luckily I saved the camo pants from the oldest’s costume a couple years back, gave him a gray shirt, son had bought a military hat from an army surpluss store.
    But when I was a child our costumes alternated. When mom could afford getting us those plastic cheapo costumes we got them. But when she could not, she, dad and my grandma worked on it. Whenever I wanted to be a princess mom would find a nice dress and grandma would bring out a tiara she won (when she was a young woman). Whenever I wanted to be a witch my dad would make my witch hat. I remember him measuring my head. One year my brother went as a hillbilly (and with us living in Ohio…) and grandpa making a corn pipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's so sweet how your family helped with Halloween costumes when you were a kids. What great memories!

      I'm always hesitant to order a costume online because I'm afraid it won't come on time or fit right. My daughter ended up with two this year because her dad took her shopping and they didn't try it on. Then I took her to a different place, not realizing I couldn't return the other. Oh, well. :)

      Delete
    2. I love that you pulled something together last minute and sometimes those end up being the best costumes. I ordered costumes online once and had a similar issue. BTW I love that memory of your grandpa making the corn pipe!!

      Delete