Our Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Confessions of an Accidental Fan Girl

Here I am at the luncheon. Don't I look professional!
I had a fan girl moment on Saturday, and before you ask, yes, writers have fan girl moments just like everyone else. I’ve now had two this past year! My first came at the Romantic Times Convention when I got to meet Julie Garwood! Mrs. Garwood is the reason I started writing historical romance novels, so when I saw that she was going to be on a panel at RT I made sure to get on the front row of her panel. When it came my time to meet her, I felt like I was back in law school the first time I ever got called on in a large lecture class. My blood rushed in my ears so loudly I couldn’t hear myself talking, but I’m fairly certain I babbled nonsensically both times.
This past Saturday, I was determined to be cool when meeting Jeaniene Frost, unlike I’d been when I met Mrs. Garwood. To paint you a clear picture, Mrs. Frost is on my top three favorite author's list. I love her books and devour each new one every time it comes out. She’s one of the rare writers I will stay up way past my bedtime to read into the wee hours of the morning, despite the fact that I have to get up at six a.m. to get my young children ready for school.
I attended, as one of the hosting authors, the Southern Magic Readers luncheon on Saturday. I was there to giveaway a goodies basket of my books, sit at a luncheon table with people who had paid to come to meet all of us authors, and then later sign books that people wanted to buy of mine.
My plan was to find Mrs. Frost, meet her before the luncheon started and simply tell her how much I love her books and admire her writing. I had the luxury to do that since we were both authors signing at the luncheon. You know that saying about the best laid plans don’t you?
The day started with me not being able to find a parking place close to the elevator. Not a big deal if I hadn’t had twenty books, one very large basket and ten author goody bags to somehow get from the third floor of the parking deck to across the street to the second floor of where the luncheon was all by myself. By the time I got into the luncheon, I was sweating and my head was pounding.
There was a long ramp down into the main luncheon room, which I used to try and precariously balance all the things I had to bring in on a very unstable carry cart. Coming down the ramp, the first person I saw was Jeaniene Frost. Bingo! This was my time to meet her and be cool, like the fellow author I am! Ha!
My cart tipped over at her feet and my books and goody bags spilled out everywhere. Talk about embarrassing! Thank goodness, Mrs. Frost is a lovely person and actually bent down to try and help me. Needless to say, I was mortified with a large, neon blinking M!
I *think* I thanked her and told her how much I love her books and that I admired her writing, but I can’t be positive, because the blood rushing in my ears, once again, drowned out my own voice!
Chalk up fan girl moment number two! In a few months, I’ll be at a luncheon with Eloisa James. I’ll let you know if I can manage to talk like a professional and not blabber incoherently!

So, tell me about your fan girl moment.

13 comments:

  1. I fan-girled all over Loretta Chase. Twice. Once as an upubbed, aspiring writer and again not so long ago. Love her books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I would totally fan-girl all over Sophie Kinsella if I ever met her, or Johanna Lindsey, although I don't think she ever attends anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you ever wonder why some big name authors still make the rounds and others don't?

      Delete
  3. I already know I'm going to have a total fan girl moment with Eloisa James. I may have trouble actually speaking when I meet her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy, If I can speak, you can definitely do it!

      Delete
  4. Brenda Jackson introduced herself to me at a party. My response was a gushing, "I know who you are!" that might have been a bit over the top ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can picture it now! That's totally something I would do.

      Delete
  5. My fan girl moment was actually with Eloisa James! She was the keynote speaker at our CTRWA conference and she was just so unbelievably witty and engaging...and I can go on and on. But anyway, when it came time for me to meet her, it was kinda like one of those Jackie Gleason "humanah-humanah' moments where I was all tongue tied. Very, very embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie,
    I know that feeling all too well--when I get nervous I pretty much go deaf. Lol. Very cool that you've gotten to meet two of your favorite authors though! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this happen so to someone besides just me! LOL!

      Delete
  7. LOL I still need to meet my authors. So, until then, my fan girl moments haven't happened yet but fan girling online still counts right? Especially during video chats and event parties online.

    ReplyDelete