Our Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Nothing Says Love Like Pies by Suzan Butler


First off, I want to say thank you to the lovely ladies of Lady Scribes for having me on their blog. It’s always a blast coming here and getting to talk to people.

Second… I have confession to make… Hi there. I’m Suzan Butler, and I have an addiction to pies.

Now I’m not a huge cooking aficionado. I’m not a chef. But I do love me some pie.  And I always have this thing about assigning a favorite pie to a character. It gives me insight into their personality. I assign them certain types of underwear too, but that’s a completely different post and possibly not the most appropriate, so today let’s stick with pies, okay?

With Thanksgiving in the US tomorrow, I thought it might be a good topic to do the pies. So here we go… in no particular order… My top three favorite pies, and the heroes they make me think of.

Chocolate Pie
This one is kinda like a mousse. It’s smooth, and creamy. This is my oldest’s favorite. He’s still under the crazy impression that pies are awful and horrible things.

Chocolate pie reminds me of one of the secondary characters in Heart and Snow, Gavin Ferrara because he’s a smooth talking Italian.  Maybe I’ll have to indulge in some chocolate pie when I start writing his book. You know, for research… of course.


Pumpkin Pie
This pie has been a staple in my house for many years. My youngest, my spunky red-head, adores this one, and it’s been mandatory for us to have one practically since he was born. I used to have this pie. Actually, when I was a kid, I hated all pies, because they were called pies. It wasn’t until I was much older than my kids that I finally tried pies, and the pumpkin pie landed in my top five.

I’d say Darren, from Off Her Game, is probably the hero most like a pumpkin pie. He’s sweet, but he’s not without a little spice. Not too much that it ruins the taste, but just enough to warm you up.

Pecan Pie
Since both my kids decided that they hated nuts (crazy kids!), I get to have this one all to myself… Well, almost. I still have to share with the other adults at the table.

*sigh*

Anyway, this pie is special in a lot of ways for me. It’s the first pie I ever made by myself, and it wasn’t completely inedible. Anyone who knows me well knows I’m not a cook. I’m not even close to being a good cook. It just wasn’t a skill that I ever could do. I think that’s why this pie stays special to me. Because I actually managed an edible version.

Pecan pie makes me think of Cody, the hero in my new release, Heart and Snow.  Because he was absolutely the sweetest guy I ever wrote. So sickeningly sweet, but I couldn’t get enough of him. He’s got that crispy outside, which keeps the sweet inside protected.

My hockey players always have that rough exterior. It’s part of the game, but they always find the right women that are able to pull out that sweet center. I live for that, love it, actually.  That’s the part that is always the most fun to write, and the tastiest.

I might need to start getting someone to make these pies for me. I’m making myself hungry here. So I’m stop here, and leave this awesomely tasty pecan pie recipe from my friend Hailey Edwards, who was nice enough to let me share it.

***CRUST:***
1 Unbaked Single Pie Crust

***FILLING:***
4 medium eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon bourbon
1 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans

***TOPPING:***
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 cup pecan halves

Prepare crust as directed. Do not bake. Heat oven to 350.

For filling, combine eggs, 1/4 cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, corn syrup, 2 Tbs. butter, bourbon, vanilla, and nuts. Mix well. Spoon into unbaked pie shell with high fluted edge. Bake for 15 minutes. Cover edge of pastry with foil. Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven. 

For topping, combine 1/3 cup brown sugar, 3 Tbs. butter, and honey in medium saucepan. Cook 2-3 minutes on medium heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Remove from heat. Add nuts. Stir until coated. Spoon evenly over pie. Cover edge of pastry with foil. Bake 10-20 minutes or until topping is bubbly and golden brown. Cool to room temperature before serving. refrigerate leftovers.

Do you have a favorite pie? If you don't like pie, what dessert do you prefer?

Blurb for Heart and Snow:

Star goalie Cody Baker has the life he’s always dreamed of since he was a child. Not only does he get to play hockey in the national league, he managed to marry the perfect woman to support his dream. But now his wife is pregnant, his long-absent father wants to reconnect, and just like that, Cody loses control of the game.

Babies are the furthest thing from Josephina Baker’s mind. Thanks to failed birth control, Jo’s perfect life is in tatters. Bye-bye overseas vacations. So long, wild, sheet-scorching nights after road trips. Adieu lovely evenings out with the girls. Hello, morning sickness, long sleepless nights, and dirty diapers.

Spending the holidays with family only strains their already stressed relationship. Their red-hot marriage is as cold as snow lately and only the fire in their hearts can thaw it out.
~~~

Author Bio:

Suzan Butler is a contemporary romantic fiction author with a penchant for Dr. Pepper, ice hockey, and world domination.

She lives in Texas under a not-so-secret identity with two monsters, writing books and planning the next step in her evil plans into the twilight hours of the night because that’s when it’s quiet in the house.  If you’d like to receive news in your email about what Suzan’s got going on, sign up for her mailing list.

16 comments:

  1. Hey Suzan! I love the idea of assigning a favorite pie to characters. I think I'll have to try some pie (you know, or several) to figure out which one would go with which character. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend this characterization strategy. It's pretty tasty...

      Delete
  2. Suzan,
    What is it about kids and pie? My son, who is almost 16, swears he hates pie, but I can't think of a single time he has tried pie. Weird kid, but with the way he devours sweets and leaves none for the rest of us, I'm okay with supporting his delusional thinking. ;)

    I love that you relate to your characters via pie. What a fun fact! It's hard to pick a favorite pie, but pecan is at the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I'm pretty happy with them leaving my pecan pie alone. LOL

      Delete
  3. Suzan, welcome to Lady Scribes! What a cute idea to assign your characters pies! I am not a pie fan (I don't dislike it, I just don't love it), but my kids and husband choose pie over any other dessert. Even cookies! WHAT?!
    Great idea to get to know your characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could do cookies... or cake! There's lots of different types of cake. :D

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on the pumpkin and pecan, but would have to replace the choco with lemon meringue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kid wouldn't even touch a lemon meringue. Chocolate is a staple in our house. :)

      Delete
  5. I love pie and love to make strange, unexpected pies. There's a Southern Pies Cookbook by Nancie McDermott with recipes for a vinegar pie (delicious!) and--my favorite--a bean pie. It's interesting to see what pies people came up with when they didn't have much in their larder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vinegar pie? Bean pie? Wow. That's interesting. Those aren't things that I'd think would warrant a pie. But then, we made a zucchini chocolate chip muffin the other day and that was delicious, so I've learned to be a little more open-minded.

      Delete
  6. Happy thanksgiving to all you ladies and your families at Lady Scribes! I wish you a wonderful day tomorrow. I recently had my first piece of Starbucks pie, and it was super delicious, a white chocolate raspberry cheese cake. Or can't you call that a pie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd call that pie. :)
      Sounds yummy too!

      Delete
    2. White chocolate raspberry cheesecake? I'm sold. Who cares if you can't call it pie? That's awesome.

      Delete
  7. My absolute favorite is rhubarb pie and I was very sad when Marie Callender's folded and I couldn't get my rhubarb fix. Weirdly enough, having moved to Hawaii I can now get rhubarb at the farmers market and now have two crowns in my garden! So I will be making pie very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband love rhubarb and strawberry pie. It is pretty delicious. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, YUM!! Kate, you make me want to move to Hawaii.

      Delete