Our Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Christmas Miracles


Miracles never cease to amaze me and I’m not one who easily believes in them. But when they do happen, words cannot describe the feeling of awe. On the coldest weekend we've had thus far a family of six decided to go play in the snow and never returned. I’m sure you have heard the story on the news and like me you prayed for their safe return.

The awful feeling of helplessness grips you while you listen to the tragic events unfolding. But after all the horrendous stories on the news this particular story has a happy ending. I can’t tell you how wondrous it is to hear good news on TV for once. Am I right? We’re so bombarded with one horrifying event after another that it’s any wonder we have any hope left in this world at all. But then that something special happens and for a second, you’re reminded of the beauty of this world and its inhabitants. It’s a welcome change.

Though it may be difficult to convince me that miracles happen “all the time,” there are some you just can’t deny. This weekend was one of those events. I love stories like these. They remind me to cuddle my children and be grateful for the wonderful people in life.

While it was a miracle they survived two days in brutal weather, I’m a realist. That father was fully prepared and very creative in his survival techniques that really saved his family’s life. The heated stones were brilliant and something I’ll add to my arsenal of survival knowledge. And much like that father I like to be prepared for anything. Having a husband who is former military may have something to do with that though. Despite living in an area of the nation where it rarely gets below thirty degrees, my husband has doggedly prepared me for every disaster, including getting caught out in the snow.

My husband's first piece of advice is to never go anywhere without letting someone, somewhere know where you are going and for how long. If am even ten minutes late, I fear one day he will call in the National Guard to find me. That’s just the way he is. And I love him for it. But that’s good advice at any rate.

Second we have an emergency survival kit in the car: Blankets, MRE’s (Meals ready to eat) jumper cables, flashlight, roadside flares, Ice scraper, a first-aid kit, water bottles, tire jack (hubby says this is great to break open a window in a sinking car. It’s amazing what this man thinks up.) Pocket knife to cut a seatbelt, matches, emergency money, a small collapsible shovel, a rope or a bungee cord, and a whistle so you can be heard.

As Christmas is upon us I want to wish everyone Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas. With life comes many surprises and as such I have a lot on my plate so this will be my last blog here on The Lady Scribes. I've been fortunate to be here since our inception and I think Amy and I had something to do with the name. We kind of came up with together. It’s been so awesome to watch the LS’s grow and evolve over the years. It feels like raising a child. But at the same time I feel like I've run my course. Blogging doesn't come easy for me anyway and I struggle to put one together. I feel like it would be better for me to step aside and perhaps focus my energies elsewhere. I’ll be returning to college in January to study cosmetology. If you know my personal story and how I struggled as a pregnant teen you’ll realize this is a huge milestone for me and I am very excited for the things to come in my future. My life will be busy with school, work, and family.

So while I leave you with the warm, fuzzies of this wonderful Holiday miracle, a story of survival and family, I’ll leave you with my husband's great advice and a few survival tips too. Have a wonderful Holiday season and remember to stay safe during these rushed, crazy days. Hug your loved ones close and always be prepared for emergencies.

It’s been a long and wonderful journey with the Lady Scribes. I am very grateful to have shared so many life events together. I feel like we’re family here. This is a wonderful community of writers and readers, and I am very blessed to have been welcomed here. I’ll be certain to swing by because I just don’t think I can stay away. Thank you for sharing these years with me and my adventures.

You can always find me on Facebook and Twitter, as well as my website.

 If you didn't catch the sale over Thanksgiving weekend to get Summons from Abroad for free, you can visit Smashwords and download a copy for free for a limited time using this code: JU96F

I hope you enjoy and I'll see you all soon! I love you all!  




7 comments:

  1. Best of luck in your new adventure, Susie! I'll watch for you on Twitter/Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzie,
    I'm so excited for you and your new journey. It's sad to see you leaving LS, but I'm so proud of you for following where your path is leading. Change can be scary, but you've always been a brave one. Big hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha! It's been a real pleasure being here with you. You've held this team together so well. I am glad I had this opportunity.

      Delete
  3. Aww Suzie!!! I will miss you here at Lady Scribes but I will most definitely see you around. Lots of love, wishes, and more miracles on your journey ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzie,

    I'm sad to see you go, but I'm excited to hear about your new journey! Best if luck, and I know this isn't goodbye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great advice...I always try to have water and a first aid kit in the car but don't usually have the rest of the things on your list. Good luck on your new ventures.

    ReplyDelete