Our Pages

Thursday, December 19, 2013

It's that time of year again

I had a hard time thinking of what would be a fitting topic for my last post at Lady Scribes. I don't take much too seriously when it comes to topics--you all know how I love the frivolous. But this time, I'm focusing on the important things.

This time last year, I was less than jolly (read that post here). Our money was tighter than it had ever been, I was subbing like my life depended on it, we had to travel to our hometown in Indiana in bad weather (at the crack of dawn because my hubby is a believer of getting on the road before any other driver in their right mind can beat us to it!) with only a few days to fit in all the family we needed to see (which, by the way, we failed to fit everyone in).

But this year is different. I always know I'm blessed but for some reason, this year I feel it. I'm lighter (unless you ask the scale, that traitorous #$%), I laugh more, I look forward to all the things I dreaded last go around. And I'm so grateful for every blessing.

1. My husband and children are healthy and happy.
2. We have a home to keep us safe and warm.
3. Our parents are still here with us.

Such a short list and yet, it's complete. Sure, there's a few more things I'd add (like a car that isn't older than Caesar's chariot or the newest gadget my nerd heart desires) but I can't imagine my life without these top three.
With all the financial and time demands that have turned Christmas into a burden rather than the joy it's meant to be, it's hard to remember what should be at the top of our lists.

I don't know why I'm so... gushy this year (seriously, my husband is about to take me to a doctor. Or a priest) but I'm glad. I'm enjoying my family's joy and that's really the best gift God could give me.

Here's wishing you a merry and bright Christmas from the Countess of Sass.

What are you grateful for?

8 comments:

  1. I think you probably need a priest more than anything else. So, you I'll now longer be a lady scribe. Anyway, I'm grateful I haven't crashed will driving in the snow. I know it's not a lot be grateful, but that's the thing that comes to my mind. I hope that that continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I probably do need a priest, Melody. Yikes! I would be grateful for a crash-free winter too! I'm delighted I don't have to worry over snow too much--just on the drive home and I don't even think that'll be an issue this year. Boo for my kiddies but yay for mom!

      Delete
  2. Okay, what is going on here!!! I thought we had this talk last year or the beginning of this year about authors suddenly disappearing. Hmmmm you ladies are crushing me. This whole week has been hurtful. :(

    But I'm happy that you're happy and okay this year Andris. And your list is great!
    I'm grateful just having the family around. We too are tight on budget this year and are pitching in to get eachother gifts. And leaving our selves out.

    We will miss you too!!! Have a great holiday and a happy New Year. And of course come back anytime and we'll see you around. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like the domino effect going on, huh? Oh, well. We'll miss everyone who's leaving, but some of the ladies are sticking around. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Kipha! I know, it's so hard to leave, but I have to step back a bit because I've taken on too much. :( I also stopped subbing (my part-time gig) because I was getting migraines and tension so bad in my neck and shoulders that I had to slather on Icy Hot several nights every week.
      I understand the tight budget--I don't remember a time when we didn't have to monitor every penny! Christmas is especially hard because we have several new nieces to add to the mix too! But, like I said, that's small beans. As long as we're healthy and happy, I don't care!
      Have a very merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year, Kipha!!!

      Delete
    3. Andris,
      You have to try Tiger Balm. I get tension headaches that turn into migraines too, so my husband brought home Tiger Balm to try. The patches are great because they don't get cream on your clothes and it cuts down on the smell. But a little cream behind my ears and at my temples works wonders.

      Delete
  3. Andris,
    We'll miss you. Thanks so much for being with us at LS these past few years. I'll miss your sassiness most of all. ;)

    I'm so thankful for my husband, who is such a great support and really my closest friend. I'm thankful for our health. I'm thankful for our kids, who are funny and smart and good-hearted. And most importantly, HAPPY! I'm thankful for family and wish my side was closer, but I'm so grateful they are still alive. I'm thankful for my friends and critique partners. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely miss you and the other ladies, too! I love that you mentioned good-heart kids--after subbing for so long and seeing how some other children behave, I'm grateful mine are so solid and respectful! Other people are always complimenting us on their behavior (of course, I don't mention they're not so well behaved at home!)
      Have a wonderful Christmas filled with love and laughter, Samantha! XOXO

      Delete