Our Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Trouble with Twitter Showdowns...

It may not be evidenced by my lack of posts, but I do like Twitter.  It is always running in the background and only a click away.  I follow people that have interesting posts and those who make me laugh.  I am not a big follower of promo.

Yes, I am as guilty as the next person about promoting a release for myself and authors who I adore.  But, I get kind of discouraged at times when all I seem to read or posts that might as well say "buy my book" and here is the link.  That is when I tend to stop following someone on Twitter.

Some of my favorite people to follow, however, are:

Suzie Grant (@Suzie_Grant).  (12/9/13) "On this day in 1835, inspired by the spirited leadership of Benjamin Rush Milam, the newly created Texan Army takes possession of the city of San Antonio, an important victory for the Republic of Texas in its war for independence from Mexico."  I didn't know that, did you.

Samantha Grace (@SamGraceAuthor) recently had a dream she had to return to college and share a dorm room with her daughter and her friend. Samantha, I would consider that a nightmare, dear.

And, a congratulations of Olivia Kelly (@OliviaKelly_) for getting to level 8, with 886 hits, on Galaga (first time she has played in over a decade).

I am currently not reading Catherine Gayle's (@Catherine_Gayle) posts because she is on a cruise and I am stuck in cold Illinois. Yes, that is jealousy speaking.

Ava Stone (@Ava_Stone) offers updates about her life with The Scientist and Lord Catsby (her cat). Only Ava would give a pet a title.

Andris Bear (@AndrisBear) has all kinds of fun facts, and I tune in regularly.

And, Jerrica Knight-Catania (@JerricaKC) has recently been heckled for not being on Twitter enough.

There are more fun Tweeters (is that the accurate phrase, if not, I am still going with it) out there and I could go on and on, but one of the reasons I enjoy the posters listed above are because they make me laugh, or simply just smile.  Sure, I get that when there are new releases and such, the author needs to get the news out there and Twitter is an excellent resource.  As I said, I am just as guilty as the next author for promoing my and others' releases.  But, I will faithfully return to reading those who give me a glimpse into their life.

However, if you do follow me (@JaneACharles) you may have noticed there has been a little more activity of late.  I blame this on Ava Stone, who had the bright idea to engage in #TwitterShowdown with me, Jerrica and Andris. The challenge is to see which of us can get the most followers by Christmas.  When each of use reach the milestone of 550, we start giving ebooks and audiobooks away. Anyone who follows and retweets the posts are eligible for the drawing.
Seems fun enough, right?

Wrong! It has gotten ugly like a mudslinging political campaign.  Below is a recap in case you missed it.

Ava started nice enough by trying to get cat lovers to follow her by posting pictures of Lord Catsby.




But, it quickly turned when Ava added us to Santa's Naughty List.











As if that wasn't bad enough, Andris put the rest of us on a Wanted List and later posted a picture of Santa getting arrested because he followed Ava Stone.  But the worst part is, I have lost count of how many times Andris has called me a "Tart".













That is when I knew it was getting serious and went for my weapons. It is only fair since Andris has a billy club and Ava is known as the "Boxcutter".  A girl does have a right to defend herself, right?










I guess I wasn't only the person thinking it was getting out of hand because Robin Delaney posted her concerns with this picture.







Ava ended up posting an attack ad  of Jerrica teasing a dog until he cried. Apparently, Ava is still trying to win over the animal lovers.














Andris even pushed me down the stairs. Thankfully Ava was there to catch me. Not that I am encouraging you to follow her, I just want to acknowledge her ONE good deed.










And, even though I don't appreciate being on the naughty list Ava posted, I certainly don't mind being on Andris' ;)











Ava claimed I locked some snowmen in a snow globe.  Obviously, those of you reading this know I am far too nice to do such a thing.  This is pure propaganda on the part of others to discourage you from following @JaneACharles.

If you are on Twitter, you should follow us (there will be prizes, after all). Yes, that was a bribe ;). BUT we ARE fun, you won't regret it.

Are you on Twitter? Post your name below so I can follow.  Also, tell me, what do you like and dislike about Twitter. I am curious to see what everyone else thinks.

22 comments:

  1. There are some people who can really be witty and 140 characters and I love to follow them. I'm also interested to read book discussions on twitter, though the blue lines can get annoying.

    You can find me @iferlohmann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      The witty posts are my favorite and I know I can't be in so few characters. I've also followed some links to great information. I really haven't seen many book discussions, but since I am not staring at it constantly, I am sure I am missing a lot.

      Delete
  2. Nightmare is the better word, Jane. (Did you just critique my tweet? LOL) I like Twitter, but I've found it's easier to have a conversation on FB. Plus, there are more visuals on FB, like funny memes and hot guys and hot guys with cute kittens. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Samantha. I also noticed you used "hot guys" twice in this post. Does this mean you like them better with cute kittens better?

      Delete
  3. I like that it's short. I hate that it's short. Umm, yeah I can't make up my mind. Depends on the post I want to put up, I guess.

    I don't mind a single promo post about a release. It's the multiple times daily for the same book promos that I get sick of. I do find some good blog posts and industry posts...different from what I've seen on facebook.

    @beth_caudill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that often FB posts also appear on Twitter and the link is just a click away. I've found some interesting and fun people by clicking on those. I also tend to stop following people when all it is but promo. I would rather learn something about the person behind the book because sometime, those one-liners can tell you a lot - LOL.

      Delete
  4. I've been following these Twitter wars quite closely...though I must admit, and I'm by no means, picking sides...Ava Stone does seem to have a pretty solid campaign going. Is a smear campaign? Perhaps it is. But she's doing a heck of a job. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christi,

      First, we all know that smear campaigns never work out in the end. At least for politicians. And Second, you do realize that the person you just claimed to be running a "smear campaign" you also claimed to be a saint. She can't be both. A saint would only say "nice" things so I am going to assume that you just removed her saint status ;).

      Delete
    2. Gasp! Jane Charles! Bite your tongue. I am the Patron Saint of Boxcutters and Career Politicians! Just watch your back, missie!

      Delete
  5. It's a sad state of affairs when lives are lost over a few twitter followers. *shakes head and sniffles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ava started it! (points accusingly)

      Delete
    2. Ava is now sticking her tongue out at Jane :)

      Delete
  6. I don’t like Twitter either. I am able to retweet things but as far as understanding the system, no. I’m lost. The same thing goes on Pinterest. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie,

      It took me a bit to get used to both Twitter and Pinterest. Now, I love Pinterest. Which gives me an idea. I am about to expand this #TwitterShowdown to a new area ;)

      Delete
    2. Too late, Jane! Jerrica and I are already there. ;)

      Delete
    3. Yeah, we've been there for a while, Jane. Welcome to the party ;)

      Delete
    4. Geez, now I remember reading that earlier. I think I either need a nap or coffee or both.

      Delete
  7. As I read this post I'm definitely not doing Twitter. It seems dangerous lol and fun and how can I find more info on Andris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,

      You can follow her @AndrisBear or her FB is https://www.facebook.com/authorandrisbear, but beware, she carries a billy club.

      Delete
  8. LMAO!!!!! Gosh now I'm being tempted to join Twitter by these hilarious attacks by you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kipha,

      You SHOULD join Twitter. Just make sure you follow @JaneACharles ;)

      Delete
  9. Ah-hem! Ki Pha... You could always follow @Ava_Stone I am the most fun out of the four of us. ;)

    ReplyDelete