Our Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

It's hard for me to believe

It’s hard for me to believe I’ve gone and done it again! I jumped! Right into a new genre. Well, maybe jumped isn’t the right word since it took me almost two years to write this book. I dipped my toe into the urban fantasy/paranormal romance waters and found the temperature to my liking.

I’ve always been a firm believer that a writer should not limit themselves to one genre if they have another story in another genre that they want to tell, and that’s what happened to me. One night my husband and I were talking about Greek mythology and he was telling me how Sirens would lure sailors to their death, according to legend. By the way, this conversation started because I had a question about a ship route for one of my Regency books! Who says Regencies and paranormal books can’t share common elements! Anyway, the next day I was working out and listening to a band called Mother Love Bone. The song “Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns” came on and the idea for my new book Echoes in the Silence popped into my head.
It was a tiny seed of an idea that grew and planted serious roots. I was in the middle of writing my second Regency novel, so I made some notes and shelved the idea, but I never could quite forget it. One day, when I needed a break from writing Regencies, I brought my notes out for Echoes in the Silence and started writing the book. I wrote about half the book, before my Regency books really started to take off and I had to shelve the paranormal/urban fantasy book to make time to promote my Regencies and write the next book.

Life is weird, and I am constantly reminded of that. When I had basically decided I’d probably never get back to finishing this book, I found myself on an unexpected trip to New Orleans with my husband. This book is partly set in New Orleans, so I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to do research for the book! I got so many great ideas while in New Orleans for Echoes in the Silence that I went home and shelved my Regencies to finish writing this book!

It took nearly a year and a half to see it published, and life interrupted many more times, but what I’ve come to learn is sometimes you just can’t ignore what your heart tells you to write. This book was released two days ago, and I hope that you readers will love reading it just as much as I loved writing it.
Here is a little blurb:

The saying Love Kills could be the epitaph on Alyse Estes’ tombstone if only she could die. An immortal descended from a mythical Siren race, she’s fated to find her soul mate in the race of her sworn enemy, the Cordisi. As if that’s not troublesome enough, she's also destined to bear him the daughter who will eventually kill him. Alyse knows just how inescapable the curse can be. After all, she killed her own father. But all of her attempts to make a perfectly normal, perfectly respectable, perfectly safe life for herself come tumbling down when she meets Maximillian Rheinhart. 

One graze of Max's hand brings the reality of her dark past―and her darker future―rushing to the surface. He's mysterious, alluring, unaware Alyse is a Siren...and he wants her. Death roulette is not exactly the kind of foreplay she wants with love, but Max is a force of nature. He's everywhere―at the law firm that just hired her and the club she goes to, in her inexplicably, realistic daydreams and the dark nightmares that haunt her sleep―and he's very convincing. He's also the Cordisi whose father is a Hunter intent on wiping out the Siren race.

Despite her efforts to resist Max, he captures her heart. She has one chance to save herself and the man that she's come to need, but to guarantee Max's safety, she might have to lose his love or succumb to what she’s fought all her life―accepting the Siren within.

And here is a sneak peek!

I felt like a naughty school child who’d just been purposely cruel. I wanted to apologize and offer comfort, a sure sign of trouble. I had to get away from Max. I shoved off from the ground and yelped as a piece of glass dug into the same damn cut.
He whipped to his feet and grabbed my hand. “I’ve got it.”
“No shit.” I tugged. “I’ll take it back now.”
Instead of releasing me, he tightened his grip. “Just let me get the glass.”
Before I could protest, I felt a tug and the glass was gone. My heart pounded from his touch. I tried to jerk my hand away, but no dice. Physically, he was much stronger. “Please let me go.” Damn. Why did my voice have to sound breathless? I cleared my throat. “I can take care of myself.”
He traced a finger beside the deep, bloody gash before releasing me. “Looks like you could use some help.”
Part of my warped brain liked his offer. I’d never had help in my life. I didn’t count my mom. Her help had kept me deadly. This was a nightmare. I couldn’t allow myself to contemplate any offer from Max. Today he offered help, but tomorrow he might smile pleasantly while killing me. “I don’t need any help.” I bit each word out.
He cocked his head. “You know, I’ve said those exact same words.”
“So.” I jutted my chin out. Screw pride coming before a great fall.
So I just realized how idiotic I must have sounded,” he drawled.
My brain registered the offense and my mouth dropped open.

I hope you enjoyed the excerpt. Max and Alyse were so much fun to create! I especially liked that I could use songs I love to help me think of scenes for the book. Do you love music? If so, do you have a song that has helped you get through a hard time or reminds you of a really good time in your life? One lucky commenter will win an ecopy of my new book! Be sure to leave your name and email with your comment.


You can find Echoes in the Silence (The Siren Saga) Book One at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords. Just click the links and it will take you straight to the book to buy it. 

Happy New Year!

10 comments:

  1. I love love LOVE that cover!
    Thanks for sharing your percolation precess with us, Julie. :) Oh, how ideas do grow roots and refuse to leave... I like that you kept your name instead of taking on a pen name for the genre swap. I bet you have some crossover fans who are going to be delighted at your writing range. ^_^
    Way to start out the new year! I'll be looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela,
    Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope I get some crossover fans! I had a lot of fun helping my cover artist create this cover! Hope you are having a great beginning to a New the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I left a comment earlier and it disappeared. Silly Blogger!

    Jules,
    I'm so excited this book is available now. I've been in love with the idea since I first heard about it a year and a half ago. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great premise for a book! Congratulations on it's release, and I can't wait to read it.
    Trisha
    pirate dot trisha at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Tricia! Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you are having a great New Year's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie,
    I'm so excited about this! Your cover is beyond gorgeous and your premise is outstanding! Congrats and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Tricia! You're the winner of the ebook!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks!!! I'm so excited to read it! Got the email!

    ReplyDelete