Our Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

One Rogue Too Many is Here at Last!!!

Yesterday was the release day for One Rogue Too Many, the first book in my new series, Rival Rogues. There is nothing more exciting, or more anxiety-producing, than offering up your work to readers. I always hope every story I write will be loved by one and all, even though I know it's highly unlikely. That's what makes the world of romance so wonderful. There is something for everyone. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little more emotionally invested in this book's reception. You see, I've dedicated the story to "My darling girl".

If you happened to read my interview at Mary Chen's lovely blog, Buried Under Romance, this week, you already know my daughter served as my muse for One Rogue Too Many. (I won't repeat the story, but feel free to check it out. Mary does a great job with interviews.)

My daughter loves being part of the process of creating my books. She asks me to tell her about the characters and plot as I begin to write it. She likes to suggest names. (I didn't go with Hector in place of Sebastian, but I think she has forgiven me.) She'll sit beside me on the couch with one ear bud in her ear and one in mine listening to "Alex" read the manuscript as we listen for missing words or typos. Of course we skip the sexy parts. She doesn't even like smooching in her stories. And she doesn't hesitate to give me feedback on the covers. "Those men should really button their shirts."

It was a lot of fun to work on today's blog with my sweetie. She learned to use a really cool presentation program through school and was eager to help me create one for Lady Scribes! We hope you enjoy this brief glimpse into One Rogue Too Many. (You can use the arrow to advance to the next part manually, or you can set it to automatically run by clicking the clock at the bottom right. 4 sec is a bit too fast and 10 sec is a bit long, but there is nothing in between.)


So there you have it. I won't be turning in my pen to make movies anytime soon, but we had fun.

Thanks so much for stopping by today. If you would like to be entered into a drawing to receive a copy of One Rogue Too Many, please let me know in the comments section & include your email address so I can reach you if you win.



And now for a exclusive sneak peek for Lady Scribes readers:


The baron glowered at Anthony, panting. Blood trickled from a cut on his lower lip and he swiped his sleeve across his mouth. Slowly he straightened and jerked his waistcoat back into place. “Bloody Philistine.” Thorne passed by him on the stairs, his head held high like he was blasted royalty.

“This isn’t over,” Anthony called then followed him. He wiggled his fingers to battle against the stiffness setting into his knuckles. Damn, Thorne had a hard head.

Silence hung between them as they left the building. They walked side by side down the alley, the fog surrounding them.

“If we are murdered by thieves, I blame you,” Thorne said.

Anthony came to a halt while Thorne kept walking. “If you had kept your damned mouth shut, we wouldn’t be here.”

Thorne retraced his steps and stopped in front of Anthony. “Someone must look out for Lady Gabrielle’s interests. Were you planning to tell her?”

So he did know what this was about and he wasn’t denying his part.

“I’ll still tell her,” Anthony said through clenched teeth, “but this isn’t about Gabby. I can’t have people speculating about my daughter’s origins. She’s an innocent girl.”

“So is Lady Gabrielle.” Thorne moved closer, his perfect nose begging to be knocked out of joint. “She should be aware of any scandals associated with her future husband.”

“That’s hypocritical, given your father’s history and Miss Thorne’s unfortunate situation.”

“Don’t you dare speak ill of my sister,” he growled.

“I have nothing but the greatest respect for your sister. You, however, are despicable.”

Blood continued to drip from Thorne’s lip, lending him the appearance of a savage animal when he bore his teeth. “You think I’m despicable? Well, I have never kept my past a secret from Lady Gabrielle. Can you say the same?”

“My past is my concern. And if you ever spread tales about my daughter again”—he thumped Thorne’s chest—“you’ll have more than a bloody lip when I’m finished with you.”

“I would like to see you try. Without the advantage of surprise, I would make short work of you.”

Anthony scoffed and continued the long walk down the alley. Thorne fell into step with him, both of them sullen.

Angered by the other man’s presence, Anthony walked faster. The baron stepped up his pace and pulled ahead.

Bollocks! Everything was a contest with the jackass. And Anthony was damned, because he wanted to beat Thorne more than ever. He increased his speed until he was at a walk-run. The baron’s head snapped toward him when Anthony came up beside him and broke into an easy jog. So did Anthony. By God, he wasn’t going to lose to the ungrateful bastard.

Not for the first time, Anthony regretted the day he’d come to Thorne’s defense at Eton. Thorne had become a target for bullies who thought his father had bats in the belfry. Anthony must have been mad himself to intervene. Not only had Thorne been unappreciative of Anthony’s assistance, the baron had been trying to prove his superiority ever since.

Thorne broke into a run, his boots slamming against the cobblestones.

“Come back here.” Anthony dashed after him.

He grabbed for and caught the hem of Thorne’s coat to slow him. Throwing his arm around his neck, he jostled for control. The baron fought back, twisting and bucking, until they banged into a wall. Thorne threw his head back and connected with Anthony’s nose. Cursing and wrestling with Thorne, he tried to slam him to the ground.

“Who goes there?” a shaky voice called from the fog. “I have a firearm, and I will use it.”

They froze.

“It’s only Thorne and Ellis.” Anthony released the baron and Thorne snarled at him. “You have nothing to fear. Lower your weapon.”

A muted light traveled down the alley. When the gentleman and his footman reached them, he held the lantern high, blinding Anthony.

“Have you been fighting?” a much too cheerful voice asked.

Anthony groaned under his breath. “Ledbery. Fancy meeting you this fine evening.”

“There’s blood. You have been fighting, haven’t you?”

Thorne shouldered past Anthony harder than necessary.

“Who threw the first punch?” Ledbery asked.

Thorne jabbed a finger in Anthony’s direction. “He attacked me and I assure you, it was unprovoked. He should be carted off to Bedlam.”

Ledbery’s smile fell. “Damnation. Were there any witnesses?”

“Only half the occupants of the Den,” Thorne spat.

Ledbery cursed again. “What’s the matter with you, Thorne? You have the temper of the devil himself. I had money on you throwing the first punch.”

Anthony didn’t have time for any more of this nonsense. He started down the alley toward his carriage. “Remember what I said, Thorne. The lady wants nothing to do with you. Steer clear of her.”

When Anthony reached the end of the alley, Thorne’s voice floated from the fog. “She will.”




30 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the release of One Rogue Too Many. What a great job you both did on the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Misty! My daughter will be so glad to know someone liked the presentation. She thought it ran yesterday and asked me how everyone responded to it. :)

      Delete
  2. A new book & a new series - congrats! I'd love a copy *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to share all with your daughter. Look forward to reading One Rogue Too Many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie Lou. I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes an author some day. She already writes stories and she's pretty good even at 11 years old. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Samantha! I am intrigued by the excerpt! If I am lucky enough to win, here is my email : sharlenewegner@hotmail.com Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sharlene! I had so much fun writing this book, especially when it came to the men and their silly sense of competitiveness. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, Samantha, your new release sounds just wonderful! Yes, I would love to be entered into your contest to hopefully win a copy. I love to share my reviews on our blog, bookworm2bookworm and promote great authors. Thanks for the giveaway and do keep us up with the latest on Christi Caldwell!

    Connie Fischer
    conniecape@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie! If you would like to review One Rogue, I'm sure I could work something out with my publicist. :) Congratulations on being added to the blog, too! That's really exciting.

      I'll be sure to let everyone know what's going on with Christi as soon as I hear more.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Samantha. I would love to review for you. I just sent Christi a message on FB to let her know that the review and promotion of her book, “Forever Betrothed, Never the Bride” will be posted on our blog, bookworm2bookworm on January 11, 2014. Hope she gets a chance to see it. All the best!

      Delete
  6. Congratulation on your new release Samantha! I usually hate these kinds of storyline because I always feel bad for the other guy. But then I love the complex feelings the heroine have. I would love to be enter into your contest.
    paaj(_)xyoo(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy,
      I feel the same way about the jilted one. I think that makes us soft-hearted, but I'm okay with that. :)

      When I proposed the series, I proposed a book for the one that doesn't get the girl too. I can't stand for anyone to lose at love.

      Delete
  7. Aww your daughter is just too sweet! I hope she stays that way long into her teens. And those men on the covers don't need to button up any more of those buttons! ;)
    Congrats on the release and of course I want to join in on the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is the sweetest, Kipha. I hope she stays that way a long time too. We may have a few bumpy spots along the road, but I can see her being my close friend when she's grown. She has been a Mama's girl since she was a baby. :)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your new release! I loved the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! I'll be sure to pass it along to my daughter. She'll be thrilled to know you liked it. :)

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the release, Samantha! (And for mentioning the interview -- it was great fun!)

    The prezi is fantastic; how awesome that your daughter helps you in your writing. I disagree with her on one point, though, that those men should not button up their shirts. LOL ^_^

    I'd love to be entered in your giveaway. Staring at an e-copy of this is not as satisfying as the physical book cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think we'll all have to agree to disagree with the little squirt when it comes to shirtless men. LOL

      I agree, it's harder to snuggle with an e-reader and pretend it's your boyfriend. Not that I've ever done that! ;)

      Delete
  10. Congrats on the release! I think it's wonderful that your daughter wants to be so involved in your writing. You might just have a future romance writer on your hands. Thanks for the chance.
    sheryll1974@netscape.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Sheryl!
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if she becomes a romance writer. She wrote a poem for class a couple of weeks ago and I was jealous of a line she wrote. LOL
    But also super proud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the release, Samantha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've got a future author on your hands! You must be so proud! So looking forward to reading your new release. Enter me in the contest, it would be an awesome early birthday present!
    pirate dot trisha at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy birthday! And thank you so much. I am very proud of her. :)

      I'll be choosing a winner on Friday and I'll add you to the drawing.

      Delete
  14. Very nice presentation, I loved seeing how all the characters are tied together. I would love to win a copy of One Rogue Too Many.

    Barbed1951 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the new release--sounds like a great series!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much to everyone who stopped by to help celebrate my release--Not from prison as one very funny FB friend teased! The winner of One Rogue Too Many is Kipha! I'm blogging at several places this month, so there are more opportunities to win a copy of my book. If you aren't my FB friend, you are welcome to send a request. I post my blog stops there and on Twitter. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete