Our Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Turning a Corner

So, as many of you probably know, my day job is as a public librarian. Besides providing reference services, computer assistance, and helping people find their next favorite book, I schedule author reading and book signings. It's one of my favorite parts of my jobs and I've had authors from Laura Florand to David Halperin to Laurent Dubois.

This week, I was looking at my calendar and I realized something: I was going to be the guest speaker at multiple libraries this year.

When Reservations for Two came out in February, 2013 my library hosted a reading for me, which was awesome. My mom flew into town for the program, I gave away periogi as a prize, read some from my book, and we sold out of all the copies of my book we'd ordered. Many of the library patrons I see every day came out to support me; I was so touched. We're doing one again in June for my release of Weekends in Carolina (which is set in Durham, where I live).

While I am thankful my library is so supportive of my writing career, my upcoming guest speaker programs are different because I'll be speaking at libraries where I don't also work. On Saturday, February 15th, I'll be in Wilmington, North Carolina. On Thursday, March 27th, I'll be at the Cameron Village Regional Library in Raleigh, North Carolina and on Saturday, March 29th, I'll be at the Southeast Regional Library in Garner, North Carolina. And then on Saturday, April 26th, I'll be at the Person County Public Library in Roxboro, North Carolina. On top of Lady Jane's Salon (RDU) in March, a program at the RT Convention in New Orleans in May, and two programs at the Romance Writers of America Convention in San Antonio in July, I'm feeling both exhausted just thinking about it and like I turned some mythical corner from always a bridesmaid to suddenly a bride.

I'm excited to be promoting my books, of course, but mostly I'm excited to talk to readers. Talking to readers about books is one of the things that drew me to public librarianship (away from law librarianship, which was my original plan). And I'm being invited to do this!

If I'm sounding a bit big for my britches, don't worry, reality will set in soon--probably because my dog will throw up on the couch or something equally as glamorous will happen (as I type this, my cat just barfed on the floor--thanks, cat!). In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my big head for a moment.

Actually, what I'm really going to enjoy is one of those moments where you feel like you've turned a corner in your life and the road you're on now is similar to the one you were on before, but you feel a bit steadier on it. These moments can happen in all different aspects of our lives. Like when you're learning to cook and create your first delicious meal with no recipes. Or the moment when you realize the complicated hand drawings in "how to knit" books are making sense. Or after a month of dog training, your dog actually sits the first time he's given the command.

Maybe the corner was more of a veer right than a hard right, but it was still progress.

What about you? Is there a time when you felt like you turned that corner?

One commenter will win a e-copy of my January release, A Promise for the Baby. You have plenty of time to comment. I'll draw the winner on February 14th (also the date I turn in my next book).

7 comments:

  1. Jennifer,
    You have an exciting year ahead. Congratulations on your new release too! I read an excerpt of A Promise for the Baby and it sounds really good. I don't have a lot of appearances planned this year, but I also feel like I've turned a corner in my career and I can't wait to see where the road leads. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Samantha! It will be fun to share that road with you here at Lady Scribes.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Jennifer! I'm so happy for you and your "special corner event." I feel as though I've turned a number of corners in my life and I would say one is that I was determined my sons would not have any dental problems in their lives. Since I grew up without fluoride in the water and in toothpastes, I had some cavities. I told my boys that if I had to, I would follow them to college to make sure they cared for their teeth well. It has paid off! Today, they are 46 and 42, have perfect teeth and have never had a cavity. To me, that's a HUGE corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's excellent! Congratulations to them as well ;-) Better visits to the dentist, I'm sure, and I'll be they've passed good habits on to their kids.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Jennifer.I am not sure if I have ever really turned a corner. Perhaps when at the age of 50+ I got my university degree. My parents had refused to help with funding university when I was 18. In Canada we didn't have the 'scholarship programs' that people see in the US etc and they were not readily available in the late 70s. Even our school counsellors weren't much help. So, probably getting my degree in Sociology was my turning point.Thank you for the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on getting your degree! That is a huge turning point, not to mention a huge accomplishment!

      Delete
  4. Connie, you are the winner of an e-copy of A Promise for the Baby. Please email me at jenniferlohmann (at) gmail (dot) com to claim your prize.

    ReplyDelete