Our Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Guest Blogger: Robin Delany

The New and Improved Sarcasm Font

I’ve been thinking a lot about the way we live our lives nowadays. Wow, does that make me sound old, or what? When I was a girl, I had a computer, my dad had a cell phone, there was television, you could watch dvds, and we didn’t own a dinosaur, but I still feel like there was a major revolution with the invention of social media that separates me from “those kids today” and causes unique problems in my life the way the dvd player caused problems for my gramma.

The problem is, I need a sarcasm font. With all this online and email communication, it’s hard to pick up the cues you do when speaking to someone in real life. (In real life? That is pretty telling, isn’t it?) Anyhow, without liberal use of emoticons (and sometimes even with them), it is easy to misconstrue what someone means. It also can be hard to tell if someone is feeling down based solely on the words they write. Twitter makes this even more difficult. Conveying your full meaning in 140 characters isn’t always easy, but accurately conveying your emotions?  In the perfect, though slightly incomprehensible slang of Stephen King, fugetaboutit!

Personally, I think I probably delete or edit ½ of what I post on social media. I write something I think is funny, then second-guess myself and wonder if people will read it wrong. That usually leads to a more vanilla and boring comment.

So, since the internet doesn’t have a sarcasm sign like the one I have here, I ask you, Why isn’t there a sarcasm font?

Like the comma that saved Gramma’s life in this example;
Time to eat Gramma.
Time to eat, Gramma.

A sarcasm font would make it easier to tell the difference between the sentences in this example;
I love my new iPhone 5!
I love my new iPhone 5!

Which one is the sarcastic comment, you ask? Now you see my problem. But the handy-dandy sarcasm font would solve all these problems.

Such emotive fonts would indicate the difference between each emotion. A happy font would be helpful—and a sad font, too. These fonts could run the gamut of emotions and save us all from the misunderstandings and unintended hurt feelings that can occur within a day of social media and email interactions.

It would also save us all from looking like narcissists, who always laugh or smile at our own jokes. lol

So, developers out there. Let’s get on it. These new fonts are important indicators we need to cue us in without being able to see the person speaking. (And could you hurry? My friend on Facebook just posted a pic of her puppy in a frog outfit with the caption, “I just love the outfit my Mother-in-Law made for my dog” and I’m not sure how to respond.)
Come check out my website, RobinDelany.com
Then join the conversation on Twitter,
Facebook And my Facebook page
The Heart of a Duke

What font would you create, if you could?


6 comments:

  1. Hey, Robin. Thanks for joining us today. I think a "I'm not looking for advice" font might come in handy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great idea! There are far too many people who think sharing means asking for everyone to offer advice. :D

      Delete
  2. Yes Robin, think a sarcasm font might just be what we need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make things so much easier, wouldn't it? :D

      Delete
  3. I just want a sarcasm font. And I need to practice my sarcastic tone of voice, as people have a hard time reading me, I'm told!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. You can use sarcastic finger quotes all the time. lol

      Delete