Our Pages

Friday, February 7, 2014

High-5 Friday: The 5 Top Comfort Reads Are....


Welcome to a new feature here at Lady Scribes—“High Five Friday.” Every Friday, a mix of authors and readers will offer up our favorites in a different category. This week’s burning question?

What’s your favorite comfort read? You know, the one you go to when you want to be assured of being satisfied when the book ends. You know you won’t be disappointed. You re-read it and find something new to love every time. Usually, it’s a book that has withstood the test of time.

Weigh in at the end, and you could win your choice of one of the favorites!

[The method behind the madness: The Lady Scribes and members of my Southern Magic RWA chapter weighed in, as did readers on my personal blog. A Facebook poll yielded more reader input. Out of several hundred answers, here were our top five comfort reads—either individual books, series, or authors….]

No. 5: Laura Kinsale’s Flowers from the Storm, picked by both authors and readers.
“It gets me every time,” says contemporary romance author Kat Latham. “I love its intensity, the way she uses the characters’ speech patterns to show so much about their characters. I read it every winter.”

No. 4: J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings trilogy, chosen by readers.
A strong reader pick: “This is the one that started my love of fantasy, and I still love my hobbits,” wrote reader Leslie. 

No. 3: Acheron Sherrilyn Kenyon.
Another reader pick, the twelfth book in Kenyon's Dark Hunter series.

So…those bottom three were not overwhelming choices but did receive multiple votes. The top two are another story…one was loved by both authors and readers, and one was an absolute runaway reader favorite.

No. 2….The books of Kathleen Woodiwiss. 

For historical romance author Jane Charles and a dozen readers, it’s Ashes in the Wind. “It is the first book I fell in love with, and never fails to make me happy,” Jane says. Reader Linda mentions The Wolf and the Dove, but especially loves Woodiwiss’s The Flame and the Flower. “I even named my son after the hero,” she says of Brandon.

And chosen by the readers in a landslide, with five times the votes of the second-place pick, the #1 comfort read is:

No. 1: The Harry Potter series, by JK Rowling.

Gotta admit, Harry, Ron, Hermione and the gang made my personal top five as well, which helps to compensate for my No. 1 Stephen King not making the list. I can’t understand old Stevie not being a comfort read. Sigh.

A couple of honorable mentions from our Lady Scribes?

Contemporary romance author Jennifer Lohmann loves Jo Beverly’s Hazard: “I love the quiet heroine finding herself and her place in life, and learning that it's okay for her place in life to be a country mouse. I love the meddling hero and how he fully knows his place in life, but he might be wrong. And it's a Jo Beverly book, so the dialogue is witty. So, so good.”

And from historical romance author Samantha Grace comes a contemporary favorite, Sophie Kinsella’s Twenties Girl, which she calls “such a funny and touching story.”

What’s your favorite comfort read? Weigh in, and you can win your choice of a single book of choice from this week’s top five or honorable mentions. Contest will end at noon CST on Thursday, Feb. 14, and announced here on Friday. International entries welcome.

23 comments:

  1. I call my Georgette Heyer collection my Prozac reads. She is my go to read for those days when I am stressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't read any Georgette Heyer (I know! Heresy!) and need to do something about that!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh, man, I love those! Reminds me of my days living in Texas. Good choice!

      Delete
  3. Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind is my comfort read. I have about 5 copies (after two falling apart).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another author I've heard so much about but haven't read!

      Delete
  4. I loved going down memory land remembering these titles. I am going to start rereading my copy of Hazard this afternoon. Thanks. This reminded me that one of my comfort reads is "More and More" by Stella Cameron. I love her historicals. Romantic and humorous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read some Stella Cameron but it's been a while...It's fun to think about the old favorites!

      Delete
  5. Moon called by Patricia briggs and bilbo the hobbit^^

    i only know 2 of the favourites pick so thank you for making discovering some more^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't miss with Mercy Thompson, Miki, I agree. I also like catching up with the early Anita Blake books.

      Delete
  6. I will always be grateful to Kathleen Woodiwiss for her wonderful books... and I loved Harry Potter too! I'll have to try #5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I haven't read Kathleen Woodiwiss; she seems to have been such a big favorite! Definitely agree on Harry :-)

      Delete
  7. Kathleen Woodiweiss was the author that introduced me to romance novels when I was a teen. I still have all those books.

    Another favorite is Knight of a Trillion Stars by Dara Joy. An alien knight lands on earth and when he meets the heroine, she thinks he's in costume for a con and tells him the planet is called Disney World! Lots of laughter and fun. It is the first book in a series and I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of Knight of a Trillion Stars, but planet Disney World is hilarious. I think I'd like it!

      Delete
  8. The Hobbit is definitely my top comfort read. Also Lightening by Dean Koontz. The In Death series by JD Robb. Stephen King, he has so many that I reread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy are definitely on my top ten, and--yay--another Stephen King reader! I haven't read the In Death series, but I keep eyeing them on my Kindle...:-)

      Delete
  9. Any of the Highland romances that Julie Garwood used to write. They were my gateway and are so sweet and romantic! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those "gateway" books. Susan Howatch was my gateway authors--her big, sprawling mid-career books were what made me fall in love with romance, especially the star-crossed kind :-)

      Delete
  10. I have alot of comfort reads, as I'm sure we all do. With all the great authors that I read, I have to admit the author I go to is Betty Neels. I don't know if alot of people know of her, but to me her books are easy to read and just are relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a lot of comfort books that I reread. 2 of the newer ones are Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn and I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read I've Got Your Number yet. I'll have to check it out. I love the way Sophie Kinsella makes me laugh. :)

      Delete
  12. Acheron and the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon is definitely on my comfort list. I would also add Christine Feehan's Carpathian series to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. If I'm in the mood for romance then Lisa Kleypas works.

    ReplyDelete