Our Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

High-5 Friday: Top 5 Storm Scenes--What's Yours?

Welcome to High-5 Friday, where each week we collect ideas on favorite categories in our books, films, TV shows, or lives.

This week, in honor of all the winter storms this year, we're suggesting favorite scenes (from our own books or one we've read) that involve a weather event of some kind: thunderstorm, flood, drought, tornado, hurricane, take your pick!

Reader input was solicited from blog and Facebook throughout the week, and here's what we came up with. At the end, tell us yours, and you'll be added to those who've made suggestions to win a $5 Amazon GC (or Book Depo equivalent). Also read on for last week's winner.

The question: What's the most memorable scene you recall from a book that involves a weather event or force of nature? In order of the number of mentions...

No. 5: Riding out a hurricane on a floating house (eek) in Barbara Hambly's Benjamin January mystery, Wet Grave.

No. 4: The blizzard that traps Danny and his mom in the Overlook Hotel with crazy daddy Jack from Stephen King's The Shining.

No. 3: A blizzard magically manufactured in Anne Bishop's Written in Red (Others series), that occurs after heroine Meg is injured.

No. 2: A snowstorm traps Lucivar and Marian inside in The Prince of Ebon Rih, a novella in Anne Bishop's Black Jewels series.

No. 1: The snowstorm scene(s) from Laura Kaye's North of Need, first in her Hearts of the Anemoi series:

And congrats to SHARLENE for winning the gift card for commenting on last week's High 5, our favorite couples. Please email me at this link with your email address.

Now, for this week's prize, what's your favorite storm?

28 comments:

  1. Of the books from above, I can only answer with North of Need as it's the only book I've read. Sharon Sala has written some good storm scenes.I don't think I have a favorite storm scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting to me that when I came up with the topic I thought there would be a ton of "h/h thrown together by storm" examples but there really weren't. Several Stephen King's, though :-). Maybe storms are better for horror than romance!

      Delete
    2. There has to be some romance h/h thrown together by storms. There are hundreds of pirate/sea faring books. I would think Catherine Coulter or Johanna Lindsey, maybe even Shana Galen.

      Delete
    3. Now you have me wondering, and I'm going to be in store today so I might need to skim a couple of romances.

      Delete
    4. Coulter Does have a couple with her Night Trilogy and also Lindsay did in her Mallory lol

      Delete
  2. My first thought was The Shining. I've never been so afraid of a snow storm as I was with this book. I've seen the movie multiple times too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also seen the movie a lot, and more recently than the book. I hated Jack Nicholson in the movie--too campy and over the top--but visually, the movie was stunning...and scary!

      Delete
    2. "Here's Johnny!" LOL Totally over the top, but his performance has grown on me. Another actor could probably play the part better, but I will always picture Jack's face leering through the crack in the door.

      Delete
  3. oki i onlu know north of need which is a lot less than in teh different past top5^^ but at least ^^ my vote is the top choice;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know a couple of them myself, Miki...I'm definitely checking out Anne Bishop, though!

      Delete
  4. O I will vote for Written in Red. I have read it seven times in the past year, the sequal is about to be published, and it still is amazing. Yes the snow storm the Elementals create is amazing.
    I have of course read Twilight's Dawn, but can't really remember that snow storm, and I did enjoy North of Need as well.
    How about Hurricane Katrina, mentioned in the first Elysian Fields book by Suzanne Johnson ;)
    Of course the anthology Red Hot Santa has a wicked snowstorm, a murderer and a hero in the Cherry Adair story. But if I remember correctly, the heroine saved herself ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita were both in Royal Street, and I had a hurricane in Storm Force. There's also a weather event of some magnitude in my work-in-progress, Pirate's Alley, so that's probably why it's on my mind :-)

      Delete
  5. Absolutely loved North of Need and Written in Red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely have to check out Written in Red! And I loved all the Anemoi books from Laura Kaye--there's a good storm scene at the very beginning of West of Want as well.

      Delete
  6. Yay! My favorite storm made it to 2nd place! I love Lucivar and Marian.
    @Aurian: it's not in Twilight's Dawn, but in Dreams Made Flesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it made it! I couldn't figure out which book it was in, so that's my fault--I just picked a cover from the series at random :-)

      Delete
  7. the tornado scene from the wizard of Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bn100candg at hotmail dot com

      Delete
    2. That's a good one--I didn't even think of that one!

      Delete
  8. Ooh, I just thought of another. The windstorm from Chocolat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The storm in The Shining was awesome. So that or North of Need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those are both great storms. Well, I guess The Shining is a scary one and North of Need is a sexy one :-)

      Delete
  10. I vote for Hurricane Katrina from Royal Street. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, that was a memorable one, for sure....for a lot of us!

      Delete
  11. I need to visit you more often. Besides a beautiful layout, you have a lot of fun here!
    I have to agree with the Oz tornado (or rather Kansas) but visual literature (aka movie) I always think of the cow flying pst in twister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good one! I can't believe no one (including me) thought of it :-)

      Delete