Our Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Welcome, Christy English!

The Lady Scribes are very happy to welcome Christy English, author of smart and funny historical romance novels. Her newest book, MUCH ADO ABOUT JACK (Sourcebooks Casablanca), is available now. Be sure to check out her links below to learn more about Christy's wonderful stories. And now I'm turning the blog over to Christy. 

One of the toughest things about being a published writer is the occasional bad review every book gets. I did not know this when I was first starting out. I thought that the hard work I had put into my labor of love, aka the historical novel, THE QUEEN'S PAWN, would be appreciated as every reader was swept away on the brilliance of my words. LOL Well, I know now that my writing style isn't everyone's cup of tea. Some disliked the fact that the book was fiction and not all historical fact. Others could not stand the protagonist, Princess Alais of France. Others hated the second lead character, Eleanor of Aquitaine.

Since it was my first book, for the first few months after the novel came out, I read all the reviews, both good and bad. I think that was a mistake. New writers, published and almost published, my advice is not to read bad reviews at all. They will only hurt your feelings, and leave you wondering if the folks who wrote those reviews ever read your book at all. Of course, they did read it. They just didn't like it. And that is ok.

I am on my fifth book now, MUCH ADO ABOUT JACK, an historical Regency romance that romps through the court of the Prince Regent and the wilds of Derbyshire with a nod or two to Shakespeare's play, Much Ado About Nothing. I finally realize that not everyone is going to love my hero and heroine as much as I do. Not everybody is going to be swept away by Captain James "Jack" Montgomery's hotness. Not everyone is going to find the arrogance of my French protagonist Angelique Beauchamp, charming. And that is ok. Because what I always forgot when I read bad reviews in the past is that everybody is entitled to their opinion. None of us all like the same thing. That doesn't mean that the other people who have read my books didn't love them, because sometimes, more often than not, they do.

 So remember, when you see those one or two stars on Amazon, don't look! They can think what they want, but you love your book and your characters. Don't let anyone else's opinions steal the joy you find in your work. On one level, your book is yours alone. Be proud of it, no matter what.

Description of MUCH ADO ABOUT JACK:
How to Become London's Most Notorious Widow:
1. Vow to NEVER remarry

2. Own a ship and become fabulously wealthy

3. Wear the latest risqué fashions in your signature color

4. Do NOT have a liaison at the Prince Regent's palace with a naval captain whose broad shoulders and green eyes make you forget Rule #1

Angelique Beauchamp, the widowed Countess of Devonshire, has been twice burned by love, and she is certain that no man will ever touch her heart again. But that doesn't mean she can't indulge a little—and it would be hard to find a more perfect dalliance than one with the dashing Captain James Montgomery.

After a brief torrid affair, James tries to forget Angelique and his undeniable thirst for more. The luscious lady was quite clear that their liaison was temporary. But for the first time, the lure of the sea isn't powerful enough to keep him away


READER QUESTION: Have you ever read a book where you didn't like one of the main characters or something they did but you still loved the story? 

Christy and Sourcebooks is offering a copy of MUCH ADO ABOUT JACK to a Lady Scribes reader today. Just leave a comment for Christy and your email address so we can contact you if your name is chosen. (Sorry. US and Canada only)

Author Bio:

Christy English is happiest when she is dreaming. Her dreams have taken her to the royal court of Henry II in THE QUEEN’S PAWN, to medieval Paris in TO BE QUEEN, and now to Regency England in MUCH ADO ABOUT JACK, LOVE ON A MIDSUMMER NIGHT, and HOW TO TAME A WILFULL WIFE, where she loves to watch her characters find true love, often in spite of themselves. Please visit her on her blog  http://www.ChristyEnglish.com , on Twitter https://twitter.com/ChristyEnglish , or on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/christy.english.779

33 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me, ladies! I always have a ball talking about writing, :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Christy! I'm so glad you could join us. I tossed in a question for readers today about whether they've ever read a book where they didn't like a character or something the character has done, but still loved the story.

    The first book that came to mind for me was Gone with the Wind. Scarlett O'Hara was such a brat! Still, I couldn't help routing for her and I really wanted her to get her act straight and not lose Rhett. Then there is St. Vincent in Lisa Kleypas' Devil in Winter. What a jerk! But he still gave me butterflies and I wanted him to be redeemed.

    I'd much rather have characters that make me feel something--even irritation or anger--than nothing at all. I figure if I want to throttle them at some point, that's a good sign. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool Samantha! I know Scarlett is a pill, but I loved her anyway. And St. Vincent made me swoon :) I guess I like jerks LOL

      Delete
    2. But St. Vincent is so um.....yeah one of my all time favorites lol.

      Delete
  3. Hi Christy!! You know how much I love your books (and you). And you also know how much Anthony, from How to Tame a Willful Wife annoyed/irritated me when I read the book. No need to enter me as I have this fabulous book already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Nancy... you were not the only one annoyed with Anthony. So many women loved to hate him, including his wife :) But she tamed him in the end...mostly ;) Thanks for commenting lovely lady

      Delete
  4. I can't think of a book/character combination right now, though I'm sure I've had that moment. Also, Christy, I love your cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer! I saw that cover and was thrilled :) Sourcebooks does such a great job. Thanks for coming by and tossing your name in the hat

      Delete
  5. Hi! I haven't read your books yet since I just heard about you on Facebook. I generally like the characters, sometimes I definitely see them with different people in the books though rather than the character the author chose for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool Daniell...I 'm glad you found me up here. Thanks for tossing your name in the hat :)

      Delete
  6. Hi, Christy. I'm so glad to have you here on Lady Scribes! First, let me say that your cover is hot! I saw it on FB a while back and I would buy the book on the cover alone! Having several published books under my belt, I know exactly what you mean about bad reviews. However, I have come to accept some people will love my books and others will not. Now, as to a book that I loved but hated something the heroine or hero did, I have one that comes immediately to mind. Julie Garwood's Whitney My Love. This is one of my all time favorite books but I hated how the hero treated the heroine when they had their first intimate encounter. I understood his hurt and anger but I truly disliked that he took it out on her and that she let him. However, I loved the book as a whole and it was that particular book that got my hooked on Julie Garwood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that book too but that guy was a nightmare! A good example of stuff authors could get away with in the 80's and 90's LOL :) Thanks for the warm welcome, Julie. I need to get your books!

      Delete
    2. Same here, Christy! Well, the rest of them. I bought this puppy when I saw that cover!

      Delete
    3. Sweet Julie! I am thrilled to hear that :) JACK is a hottie...but then I am biased :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Christy! I've read many books over the years where I simply didn't like one of the main characters, and have by the end fallen in love with them. Most recently your own Earl Of Pembroke frustrated the dickens out of me, and by the end of the book I ended up loving the character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Raymond was a little slow moving in the romance department. But in the end, he made his woman happy :) Thank you for reading, lovely Misty :) And thank you for tossing your name in the hat for JACK

      Delete
    2. No no I have Jack ( actually I have it in both Arc and purchased form), please give it to a reader that might not have the book already. I didn't care for Anthony at first but I by far warmed up a bit faster to him. This series has become much loved by this seller and reader.

      Delete
    3. I am so glad to hear it Misty :) I am so happy to hear you love my crazy characters. :) Anthony is a BIT tough to take. Caroline really had her work cut out for her. LOL

      Delete
  8. Like Samantha I had a hard time with Scarlet O'Hara, but quite often arrogance hides a hurt soul, so then I root even more for them to get their HEA. Besides, who sould resist Jack?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Di...I tell you, I could not resist Jack :) I felt bad for Scarlett, too, as much as she drove me crazy. I did want her to have her HEA Thank you for coming by and joining us for our fun :)

      Delete
  9. I'm sure I have run across annoying characters before, but ended up still liking the book because the story and the rest of the characters won me over. I've also been slow to warm up to a character, such as Cynthia Brightly in Julie Anne Long's Like No Other Lover, but once I learned more about her, I was won over to wishing her happiness in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that happen to me recently. I didn't like the heroine's attitude or resistance at first, but once I understood why she was that way, I started to care about her happiness. I just wish the author would have let us know at the beginning of the story. It would have changed how I viewed the heroine.

      Delete
    2. It's funny isn't it? I think sometimes as an author I don't see my characters' flaws until the book is done. I love them so much, even when they are pills, it is hard to grasp that other people are going to get irritated (Anthony in HOW TO TAME A WILLFUL WIFE comes to mind here)

      Delete
  10. As a reader of only romance of all types I know I've come acress characters I at first don't like...Lothaire (Kresley Cole) comes to mind but in the end I've fallen for then as the author grew or healed them through love in the story. I f I don' t find them growing to redemption I drop the series...Maya Banks Rush/Brethless Series comes to mind - Gabe started as an a@@ and stayed that way to the end. Not every book is everyone's cup of tea. Good luck with your release, the cover is awesome and has me curious :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Gilttergirl. If you get a chance to read JACK, I hope you like him :)

      Delete
  11. I'm sure I have, but I can't call a specific one to mind at the moment.
    jmcgaugh (at) semo (dot) edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hanging out with us J...Good luck with the give away!

      Delete
  12. Awesome cover! I spent about half of Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire series yelling at Sookie. I liked her character but man did she make some bone-headed decisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Suzanne! I love Sookie too! I spent the whole time saying "Oh my God, where is this little girl's mama?" I wanted to take her in hand :) But I adored her just the same. Thank you for commenting :)

      Delete
  13. Hi Christy!!! Gosh I know I've said this a lot but that cover of Jack is Sexy!!!! And I have been waiting for him forever~

    But the question, yes I believe I have had that happened before, most definitely. I don't remember which book or why but I know that I have. Or maybe there were a couple of them and I just can't think of one? Ahhh Now it just came to me! One of Christina Dodds' ultimalte backlist that she always warns readers about. Her infamous book, A Well Pleasures Lady! I can't even say anymore about it. I love her but that book being the first of her for me was just... It Burned me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ki Thank you! I love JACK...they did such a great job with that cover ;) Wow... now I want to check that book out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes, many times and ended up not liking the book

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations to Glittergirl! You won the copy of Christy's book, Much Ado About Jack. Please email samantha@samanthagraceauthor.com with your mailing address so I can forward it to Christy. :)

    ReplyDelete