Our Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

High-Five Friday--Guilty Pleasure Couple

Welcome to High-5 Friday, where each week we collect ideas on favorite categories in our books, films, TV shows, or lives.

Mardi Gras has passed and we've moved into the Lenten season, where those of the Catholic faith give up something until Easter. So in the spirit of sacrifice...well, okay, that's a real stretch. Let's talk about GUILTY PLEASURES! No, not the Laurell K. Hamilton novel, although it's one of my favorites in the Anita Blake series.

I'm talking about couples who never quite get that HEA despite what we'd love to see.  Who would you most like to see together? Readers chimed in this week on their votes, and here are the winners so far. One commenter will win a $5 Amazon GC (or Book Depo equivalent). Also, read on for last week's winner!

We had some interesting choices that didn't make the top five, but, really, wouldn't you like to see Vishous and Butch have their chance?

Here were our Top 5 "most wanna see" couple. In reverse order of the number of mentions...

No. 5: Stephanie Plum and Ranger (Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series). I mean, Steph has bounced back and forth so much (ranger, joe, ranger, joe) it's hard to keep track, but really, Steph...Ranger's the man. Joe's okay but he's no Ranger.

No. 4: DJ and Jean Lafitte (my Sentinels of New Orleans series). Okay, so she's in her 20s and he's, like, 234, give or take a year or two. But if Alex Warin has a rival in the romance department, it's our favorite French pirate. One thing we've never really known--what, exactly, Jean feels for DJ--we will learn in Pirate's Alley. (Tease!)

No. 3: Harry and Hermione (JK Rowling's Harry Potter series). I was lobbying for Harry to stay with Ginny Weasley, but totally agree Hermione would be totally bored with Ron after, oh, a year or two max. I was pushing for Hermione to hook up with Neville Longbottom, but, alas, the readers want to see the Double-Hs together.

No. 2: Rachel and Ivy (Kim Harrison's Hollows series). Again, I was voted down. I've been a proponent of Rachel and Trent for years, but, hey, this is paranormal. There is no reason Kisten can't come back to life and get his HEA with Rachel. But noooooo. Folks want to see Ivy and Rach get a chance.

No. 1: Harry Dresden and Karin Murphy (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series). Harry and Karin have danced around each other for YEARS. I mean, seriously. Do it already! Sure, you'll think it to death and eventually beat all the joy out of the relationship, but we would so love reading about it.

And congrats to MAUREENF for winning the gift card for commenting on last week's High 5, favorite food scenes. Please email me at this link with your email address.

Now, for this week's prize, what's your favorite "wanna see" couple? It might be one of these, or it might be different!


26 comments:

  1. Stephanie and Ranger for me. I've always thought that Ranger was the better choice for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I....I'd cheer when she'd run toward Ranger and groan when she'd inevitably end up with Joe.

      Delete
  2. Ok here goes and warning I’m such an out of the box reader/thinker
    Stephanie Plum and Joe (yes I said it but I’m a Morelli girl)
    Speaking of Guilty Pleasures Anita and Micah (He’s perfect for her)
    Merry and Frost
    Wraith and Beth
    Booth and Bones
    Castle and Beckett
    Jamie and Clare
    Revenge’s Emily and Jack
    And last but not least
    Luke and Laura LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that's okay. I know quite a few Morelli girls! Luke and Laura! And Luke proposed to Tracy yesterday...okay, yeah, my secret is out, darn it. I watch "General Hospital" :-)

      Delete
    2. No worries about your secret lol, I have watched General Hospital since I was 6 lol.

      Delete
    3. Ahh Luke and Laura! Still remember watching their wedding!!

      Delete
  3. I have to go with Harry Dresden and Karin Murphy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if Jim Butcher will ever really go there. He's teased us for years...

      Delete
  4. Harry Dresden and Karin Murphy are definitely high on my list!
    jmcgaugh (at) semo (dot) edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too--I mean, I can't see it ever working out long-term, but what fun we could have watching them struggle with it!

      Delete
  5. Definitely Dresden and Murphy. It would take a lot of work, but I think they could make a go of their relationship if either one didn't die!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, and Murphy didn't have any electronics nearby :-)

      Delete
  6. jane yellowrock and derek lee..... i really want that couple more and more^^ even if i'm the only one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read far enough in that series to know Derek, I don't think...I need to get back to that series!

      Delete
    2. ^^ he appears in the first book he is the team leaders of the humans "soldiers" that she employs when needed^^ ( i'm not far enough in teh series so you perhaps are several books in adavance in comparaison^^) i'm glad you made me discover it, thanks

      Delete
  7. Hermione and Harry. I've always thought those two should pair up until book 6 gave me that twist I didn't see coming. And plus, J.K. Rowling herself said she regretted not doing this pairing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, up until the very last book I really thought she'd get Harry and Hermione together, that there would be this one moment when they both realized it. I did like Ginny, though, and thought she might a nice, calm, practical choice for Harry.

      Delete
  8. I'm a Rachel/Ivy shipper. I'm sure Rachel will end up with Trent and I trust Kim to do it right, but I want to see more non-het romances treated as normal in urban paranormal fiction! I mean, there's a ton of reasons R/I would be great anyway.

    I still think Hermione and Ron would work, dammit! She's not snotty and doesn't think less of people who aren't as booksmart as her, and Ron has real-world smarts that complement her bookishness perfectly. Don't sink my ship!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DJ and Jean get my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been trying to come up with an answer all day, but I can't think of any couples that don't end up together by the end of their books that I really want to see together. On Firefly (TV), I always wanted Malcolm and Inara to be together. Does that count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Harry Dresden and Karin Murphy get my vote!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely voting for Harry and Hermione. It just seems right. I think that's one reason the ending of HP seemed so weird. Nothing against Ginny and Ron, but H&H were meant to be together.

    Aside from that, this is an oldie but a goodie - Either Cat and Merry or Rand and Merry from The Windflower by Laura London.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also have to go for Harry Dresden and Karin Murphy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was REALLY frustrated when Harry and Karin didn't get their date (as in, my hubby jumped when I started growling, lol) so I guess that would be the one I vote for.

    ReplyDelete