Our Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

High-Five Friday--Scenes That Made Us Cry

Welcome to “High Five Friday.” Every Friday, a mix of authors and readers will offer up our favorites in a different category. This week’s burning question?

Tell us a book or scene that made you cry. I thought of this because, as silly as it sounds, two of my own characters made me sniffle last week as they said things I wasn’t expecting. I mean, I’m talking about an undead 19th-century pirate and an alpha shapeshifter—not guys that normally inspire tears, at least not in my world.

So I started to think about books that have made me cry, and decided to see what others said. I was relieved to hear author Jennifer Lohmann admit she’d teared up when she wrote her book The First Move, so maybe I’m not nuts. Jennifer also admits that she “bawled like a baby” when reading Marcus Zusak’s The Book Thief. My top two also made the list this week...and here it is!

What were the top five sob-inducing scenes, culled from blog posts and Facebook?

No. 5: The Black Dagger Brotherhood, by JR Ward.
No, it isn’t a single book, but oh, the scenes. One cried when Z was all scarecrow-starved and sleeping on the floor, or when Butch and Vishous had their sad relationship scene in Lover Unleashed, or when Z finally gets Bella from where the Lessers are holding her…well, heck, anything with Z, right?

No. 4: The Death of Dobby the Elf, in JK Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
Oh, Dobby. You were the first to break our hearts in this book. And Remus and Tonks.

No. 3: The Rape of Mercy Thompson, in Patricia Briggs’ Iron Kissed.
Or, more specifically, the aftermath as Adam finds out in the worst-possible way and his heart-wrenching reaction, and the way Mercy hides her coyote, ashamed. It was powerful. I can almost cry just remembering it.

No. 2: The Death of Kisten Phelps, in Kim Harrison’s For a Few Demons More.
This was huge. I honestly don’t think I cried because my jaw was on the floor and I just KNEW, I mean I KNEW, Kist would come back in a subsequent book. Only he didn’t, and I still miss him. It took me several books to forgive Ms. Harrison.

No. 1: When Edward Says Goodbye to Bella in Stephanie Meyer’s New Moon.
Say what you will about the Twilight series and its literary merits, you can’t deny the lure of these characters, and this book in particular is extremely dark and emotional as Edward realizes he can’t keep Bella safe and tells her he no longer loves her. Heart-wrenching, or overwrought? It got the most votes, so what say you, readers?

What’s a scene that made you cry? Weigh in, and you can win a $5 gift card to Amazon or your e-tailer of choice. The winner will be announced in this space next week. Last week’s winner is SANDYG. Email me at this link!



32 comments:

  1. I try to avoid books that make me sad since I work in a really tough, sad job. But I love books that make me cry because they are heartwarming. The last one that made me cry that way was Labor Day. I loved the ending and it brought tears to my eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are good cries and bad cries, definitely! Good cries are...well, good :-)

      Delete
  2. The most recent book that made me ugly cry was Away by B.a. Wolfe. I can't tell you what cause the tears to start flowing without giving away a major plot secret, but it is behind the meaning of the title and why there is not going to be a HEA ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a new one for me, but judging by the title, I definitely don't see an HEA ending.

      Delete
  3. There are quite a few that have made me cry. Like when Jamie describes his beatings in Outlander, JR Ward has had several moments threw out the Black Dagger books. Sherrilyon Kenyon's Acheron made me bawl like a baby (which is why I've not as of yet dived into Styxx lol). Any book that tackles the dark topics of miscarriage and abuse tend to bring the tears out in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't ready the Dark Hunter or Outlander series, but I totally agree ton the BDB series. There are laugh out loud moments as well as heartbreaking moments--signs of a great storyteller at work :-)

      Delete
  4. The scene that made me cry was in Constance O'Day Flannery's Timeless Passions. Breanna was thought to be killed in a car crash but she was trasported to the 19th century south. At the end of the story she bought the house she knew her sister would live in in the future and left her sister pics and a letter explaining what happened to her. I cried when I read the letter. I still read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that book but it sounds fascinating. Sad, but I always find time-travel interesting.

      Delete
    2. Oh, my gosh. I'm getting choked up just reading your comment.

      Delete
  5. In Lorraine Heath's Lord of Temptation, when Tristan returns to the castle where he and his brothers were imprisoned and he pounds on the wall crying for everything he lost, thinking he also lost the woman he loved. It has always brought me to tears and I've read it so many times. It makes me teary now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't ever cried over a book but Dobby's Death came closest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura lee Ghurkes The Marriage Bed. When John realizes that all his mistresses fall in love with him because he cares what the think, what there favorite flower and jewelry is. He thinks he suppose to do this for all women. To make them feel special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One book that made me cry hysterically, that I will never forget & never read again, is Kristan Hannah's Firefly Lane ( where the heroine dies. Gah!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT?!? NOOOOOO… Thank goodness for romance novels, where a happy ending is guaranteed. :)

      Delete
    2. Never, ever again! Also, did you ever see the movie. City of Angels? If you haven't, don't! Horrible ending! It shocked me!

      Delete
    3. Oh, and Nicholas Sparks' The Best of Me. Don't get me started!

      Delete
  9. the letter Zsadist writes to Bella in the BDB series

    ReplyDelete
  10. from your list: mercy thomson scene but then i stay with the mermaid's kiss by joey hill with the so heartbreaking aftermath of the fight....i'm really on verges of crying again just thinking about those 2scenes

    ReplyDelete
  11. The scene in A Knight in Shining Armot that made me cry was when Dougless was able to save Nick in 1564 and because their intimate contact, Dougless was swept back into the present when morning came. I was crying that they were separated by time and if I had read further, I wouldn't be crying because I thought that was how the book was going to end. Yes, there is an HEA ending.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had so many cryfests! Dragonfly in Amber by D. Gabaldon was an ugly cry. Then Voyager was a happy cry...
    I always leak a few tears reading JR Ward.
    I read a bunch of M/M romance which tends to get me more weepy--so much conflict in those stories.
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I haven't finished Dragonfly in Amber yet because I kept crying, which is not a good when it's an audiobook and you're driving. I really need to get it in print so I can set it aside when I need to.

      Delete
  13. Definitely the BDB series always makes me want to cry and Mercy too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are all spoilers!!!! But, I'm okay with it since I'm going to share a huge spoiler scene that made me cry every page after it.

    Danielle Harmon's Lord of the Sea: when Brandon stays behind with his sick and dying wife, Mira in the sinking Krestrel.

    I bawled every time their name and the scene was mentioned in the book till the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a real tear-jerker, but so romantic. *sniff*

      Delete
  15. Marquita Valentine's new adult books have made me cry every time. I have cried a couple of times on contemporaries, but her New Adult's pack a emotional punch to the gut. I have even offer send her my heart on a platter. LOL. However, I'm a sappy person and it doesn't take much for me to start the water works. A downtrodden heroine will do it every time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beth dying in the classic LITTLE WOMEN has me crying buckets – every time. When my daughter discovered the book, we cried together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classics like Little Women rip out my heart. I remember bawling in middle school over Where the Red Fern Grows. Truly my first time to have my heart broken by a book, and yet, I love that book so much.

      Delete
    2. OMG. Beth dying! I forgot that one!

      Delete
    3. Samantha, my first book-cry was also "where the red fern grows". The day my school was scheduled to show the movie, I pretended I was sick.

      Delete
  17. I, too, was terribly affected by the scene you mention with Mercy. There have been a lot of scenes in the Outlander series that made me cry, too, (some spoilers follow, though I'm being as vague as I can) such as when Jamie is recovering from his experience (with Jack Randall) in prison, when Jamie reacts to what Claire did to get him out of prison (in France), when Claire lost her baby, and when she had to leave Jamie behind.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I cried buckets when Dobby died!! And when Fred died..... and when Dumbledore died!! There's no other series that has made me cry more than the Harry Potter books!!!

    ReplyDelete