Our Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Let the war of the covers commence!

What makes you stop and buy a book? For many people it's the cover first and then the back blurb (cover copy) second. Personally, I always read the back cover copy even if I don't like the cover, but that may just be the writer in me coming out. Let's face it, I know just how hard that author worked to write that book, and she or he may not have ended up with the cover of their dreams. So I always give the back cover copy just as much consideration as the pretty, or not so pretty, picture on the front.

The process of finding the perfect picture for a cover is daunting! I know because I have spent weeks searching for an exact picture that is in my head. I'm pretty sure I have driven myself and my cover artist to the brink of insanity!

I just started writing a new story, but right away my brain is turning and plotting the cover, title, font and blurb that is going to make the reader buy it. Because there are so many great covers here at Lady Scribes I thought it would be fun to have a cover war among us ladies that our blog visitors can vote on.

All you need to do is leave a comment in the comment's section for whatever book cover and blurb combination you like the best. You can simply put the author's name in your comment. Make sure to leave your name and email because one person who comments will win either an ebook or a print book from the winning cover!

I would love to know what is one kind of cover you would never buy and what kind of cover can you never pass up!


And now for the covers!!!!




Lady Madelaine Aldridge might be the worst lady-in-waiting to ever grace King George III’s court. An oddball who prefers archery to embroidery and honesty to deception, she earns the dislike of the Queen, the cruelty of the other ladies-in-waiting and the advances of a lecherous fiend who wants to make her his whore. Her father demands she find a proper husband―a task that seems hopeless until Lord Grey Adlard rides into court.

Grey Adlard lives up to his reputation as a dangerously handsome rake when he proposes Madelaine meet him in the stables for a tumble. Yet when she needs a protector the most, Grey offers his services and vows he wants to court her. Wary yet intrigued by the mystery he presents, Madelaine slowly allows Grey to capture her confidence and then her heart.

Things seem perfect until her father is imprisoned for plotting against the King and Madelaine learns Grey is not who he pretends. As King George III sinks deeper into insanity, Madelaine must prove her father’s innocence in order to save his life. With the future of England hanging in the balance and a ruthless murderer hunting them Grey and Madelaine engage in a clash of wills and a battle fraught with suspicion, secrets, betrayal and two hearts that cannot deny the impossible, irresistible love between them.

Wishing the weekend would never end! 

Trey Harris wants nothing to do with his late father's farm. In fact, he can't get rid of it fast enough so he can enjoy his city life. Then he meets Maxine "Max" Backstrom—the gorgeous woman leasing the land. Between her passion for his family's farm and her determination to show him its beauty…well, Trey can't stop thinking about what it would be like to kiss her! 

Still, their lives are worlds apart. If he sells, her livelihood vanishes. But his interests aren't here. And no matter how magical their weekends together are, this can't lead to anything…can it?


Rosalind Valentine has been in love with Marquess Felding since she was in the schoolroom.  She also knows that he will never be hers given her humble background and family secrets. As much as it pains her to watch him court another, Rosalind knows it is for the best and is determined to be content in her position as a nursery maid and companion.
Noah realizes that the lady he set to court is not the lady he wishes to be tied to for life and also begins to see Miss Rosalind Valentine in an entirely different light. Had he been looking in the wrong place for love? Had she been as close as next door? Will circumstances beyond his control keep him from making a Christmas Match?



From the betting book at Brooks Gentleman’s Club:
Wager: £2,000 that Lord Ellis will throw the first punch when he discovers Lord Thorne is wooing a certain duke’s sister.

All bets are off when the game is love
Lady Gabrielle is thrilled when she learns Anthony Keaton, Earl of Ellis, wants to ask for her hand in marriage. She’s not so pleased when he then leaves the country and four months pass without a word. Clearly, the scoundrel has changed his mind and is too cowardly to tell her. There’s nothing to do but go back on the marriage mart…


When Anthony returns to Town and finds his ultimate rival has set sights on Gabby, his continual battle of one-upmanship with Sebastian Thorne ceases to be a game. Anthony is determined to win back the woman who holds his heart--but he’s not expecting Gabby herself to up the stakes…


British vampire psychiatrist and former mercenary Cage Reynolds returns to Penton, Alabama, looking for a permanent home. The town has been ravaged by the ongoing vampire war and the shortage of untainted human blood, and now the vampires and humans that make up the Omega Force are trying to rebuild. Cage hopes to help the cause, put down roots in Penton, and resolve his relationship with Melissa Calvert. The last thing he expects is an attraction to Robin Ashton, a trash-talking eagle shape-shifter and new Omega recruit.
Meanwhile, as a dangerous saboteur wreaks havoc in Penton, the ruthless Vampire Tribunal leader Matthias Ludlam has been freed on the eve of his scheduled execution. But by whom? And to what end? As war and chaos rage on, love is the last thing Cage is looking for, but will his attraction to Robin distract him from the danger living among them? 




Christopher Ansley, Earl of Waxham, has constructed a perfect image for the 
ton--the ladies love him and his company is desired by all. Only two people know the truth about Waxham’s secret. Unfortunately, one
of them is Miss Sophie Winters.

Sophie Winters has known Christopher since she was in leading strings. As children, they delighted in tormenting each other. Now at two and twenty, she still has a tendency to find herself in scrapes, and her marital prospects are slim.

When his father threatens to expose his shame to the ton, unless he weds Sophie for her dowry, Christopher concocts a plan to remain a bachelor. What he didn't plan on was falling in love with the lively, impetuous Sophie. As secrets are exposed, will Christopher’s love be enough when she discovers his role in his father’s scheme?

Have fun voting!!!

36 comments:

  1. I'm currently working on a tenth revision of a cover for an author, so I more than know what goes into creating the perfect cover. I cannot really pick a cover that I wouldn't purchase because covers can be deceptive as to what is inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point,Misty! Wow, on the tenth revision! You cover artist are very patient people!

      Delete
    2. Well on the current one it's a lot of font issues in trying to nail down just the right fonts. The art work itself has been done for some time. I refuse to chose a cover here all have aspects that I quite like and a few I would tweak, but I'd never insult another artists work

      Delete
    3. I totally get that, Misty! All these covers are great in their own way!

      Delete
  2. I'm not trying to be biased but I really do love Samantha's cover!!! I have it in print so .... I'm not being picky. But I love every one's covers!!!! Julie I love yours too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can be biased, Kipha! And thank you!

      Delete
  3. Tough call but I vote for Julie Johnson's cover. Beautiful.

    I am not sure there is a cover I wouldn't buy--I decide by author and blurb first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knye,

      Thanks for stopping by! The blurb is the biggest draw for me, though a bad cover can make me hesitate!

      Delete
  4. I don't know that there's any type of cover I would never buy. Of the books above, I'd be most attracted to Susannah Sandlin's Allegiance, based on the cover and blurb combo. I have to say that the cover for One Rogue Too Many is my favorite of the covers; it's gorgeous!
    jmcgaugh (at) semo (dot) semo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jmcgaugh,

      Thanks so much for stopping by! I can tell you first hand that Susanna Sandlin's books are awesome and so are Samantha Grace's! I think that purple in her cover really makes the cover pop!

      Delete
  5. I love them all! But if I have to choose...in this moment, in the mood I'm in, Jennifer's cover is giving me exactly what I want to see. It's so fresh and romantic - I could see myself getting lost in that story right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerrica,

      Thanks for stopping by! Jennifer's cover is lovely and fresh, as you said!

      Delete
  6. I love Christi's! Three reasons:
    1) the title
    2) sparkly
    3) PINK!
    That's my pick. Lol.
    countessofmar(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. No NO NO I won't, can't do it. I know I am giving up a chance for a print book, and boy do I like those, but this one is too hard. Each cover is beautiful and the books are some of my favorite authors. macdebbielou@yaoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to pick! We're just happy that you stopped by!

      Delete
  8. Definitely Susanna Sandlin's drew me in. That's generally what draws me. The kind of sexy mysterious ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. goodblinknpark(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by, vamped chick! I love dark and sexy covers as well!

      Delete
  9. I just have to vote for Allegiance as well. I would have liked the first cover better if I could have seen his face.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for popping by, Aurian! I want too see the guys face too and it's my cover! Virtual winking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Sandy! Allegiance is a beautiful cover!

      Delete
  12. I also vote for Allegiance. It really catches the eye. Fonts, color, images all have to be balanced to engage the reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Liz S.! Thanks for visiting us!

      Delete
  13. It would Susannah Sandlin's cover and blurb. The icy blue eyes with the purple graphic design on the cover. Also, the first line about the British vampire psychiatrist and former mercenary grabbed my interest, and had me thinking "A what again?". Plus, the trash talking eagle shifter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susannah Sandlin's cover for me. Fits real nice with the others in the Penton Legacy series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      This cover truly does fit so well with the rest of the series!

      Delete
  15. Allegiance has my vote, the character fit teh description, the blurb is really tempting and catching my interest and the colors^^ i can't resist also it fits the rest of teh series which is a great bonus

    isabelle(dot)frisch(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Miki! The Allegiance cover is truly eye catching!

      Delete
  16. I love all of the covers, but The Allegiance caught me by surprise. The purple tattoo-inspired design in the background and insanely green eyes just jump off the page. Plus, the contrast between light and dark give it a lot of depth.

    ReplyDelete
  17. like Suannah's allegiance cover
    saw some covers that looked so bad I thought they were a prank; would never buy/read them

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woo-hoo--thanks for the Allegiance cover love, guys! I love all these covers. My heroines have gorgeous-dress envy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a Rogue Wants sounds wonderful. I love oddball characters, especially in historical romances. It definitely brings an approachable element to an otherwise untouchable time period.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like Samantha's cover & blurb! The colors are pretty & so are the models! The story line grabbed me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Susannah Sandlin's Allegiance is my favorite, although they are all beautiful.
    I don't judge a book by it's cover so their isn't a type I won't buy. But I am a huge paranormal/scifi fan so I am drawn more to those covers.

    fsteph55(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete