Our Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What's Up, Wednesday?

Spring is right around the corner, and what better way to get in the spirit than to share our favorite flowers.

Crocus from Sam's garden Spring 2013
My favorite flower is the peony. I first came across them when searching for flowers for my wedding. I was married in June in Mobile, you can imagine the heat, so I needed the perfect flower and the peony captured my love!
~ Julie Johnstone
Tulip

My favorite flower is the tulip....ever since I read Emily Perl/Kingsley's Welcome to Holland...it taught me a unique and beautiful way of thinking about raising a child with special needs and I can't look at tulips quite the same Way.
~ Christi Caldwell

My favorite flower is Gardenia. No, I can't grow them in Illinois. All I can have is a plant in the house, which requires TLC and I tend to kill them. I love to garden and try to have something blooming from the first thaw to the first freeze. For me it is a combination of fragrances and color.  My second favorite flower would be old roses. They smell divine and are at the front and back or my house and one of these days I will take those rose hips and make tea.
~ Jane Charles

I love love love dahlias--the shape of them, the rich, beautiful colors. I can't grow them and have given up trying, and florists don't usually have them so I have to admire from a distance. I tried for years to grow them but I was jinxed. The one year I finally got a beautiful bed of them blooming, when I lived in New Orleans, the new yard guys came in and weed-eated them all to the ground. Yeah, they got fired, but it didn't bring my dahlias back!
~ Suzanne Johnson

Bleeding Hearts
I don't have a favorite flower. I like pretty much all of them.
~ Jennifer Lohmann

It’s hard to choose a favorite flower, but I’ve always been drawn to lilies. I love the simplicity and grace of calla lilies, the sweetness of Lily of the Valley, the vibrant colors of the larger lilies, and the exoticness of tiger lilies. My wedding bouquet was cream roses and alstroemeria lilies, and I loved it!  
~ Samantha Grace

Lilies

What’s your favorite flower?
Leave a comment to win a print copy of The Heart of a Duke. Must include email address to be in the drawing. (US and Canada only)

Five friends receive a pendant from a gypsy along with a prophecy that whoever wears the necklace will win the heart of a duke. With varying expectations, each girl accepts her turn with the good luck charm—and a chance at happily ever after—secretly fearing the gypsy’s tale may be nothing more than a plot to sell a worthless piece of jewelry.

32 comments:

  1. Gerber daisies have always been a happy flower to me; but they're so hard to grow! At least, for me. :) smrgrl@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria,
      I went back and forth between lilies, orchids, and Gerber daisies. I LOVE Gerber daisies in arrangements. I've never tried to grow them, though. I don't really have a green thumb, although I'm determined to grow a small vegetable garden this year. We'll see!

      Delete
  2. I love blue hydrangeas. True blue flowers aren't that common, and I love seeing these. Bonnie bonnieblue at wowway dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had these growing in our yard when I was a little girl in Arkansas. The ones I have in my yard now are green. I haven't seen any blue ones in our area, so maybe they can't grow in our zone. I love how lacy they look, too. :)

      Delete
    2. Did you know that the color of hydrangeas is determined by the Ph balance of the soil? To get a blue hydrangea instead of a pink one, the soil has to contain aluminum. So you can buy some aluminum sulfate and add it to the soil--it's easier to do if you're growing them in pots. Yeah, I experimented with them one summer because I think the blue are so pretty!

      Delete
  3. I like pretty much all flowers but I think lilies are my favorite. :)

    monicaperry00 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love peonies. Its too bad they only bloom once a year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Orchids are my favorites!
    jmcgaugh (at) semo (dot) edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing flowers. I can't grow them for beans, but they are beautiful. :)

      Delete
  6. My favorite flower is Lily of the Valley and sadly we can't grow them here in AZ. This became my favorite flower when I was 7 and we spent a couple weeks in Wisconsin visiting my mom's family. My mom has tried and failed repeatedly to grow them here and she has a very green thumb. I remember once in our house growing up she got a few shoots to bloom and we were both so happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too. They smell so sweet, and they are just precious. Do you have jasmine where you live in AZ? I've never smelled anything so wonderful before. I discovered it in Tucson.

      Delete
  7. I love orchids, snap dragons and lavendar (I know it's an odd combination...)

    AquarianDancer at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they sound lovely together. I love the smell of lavender, although I know it's one of those that people seem to love or hate. Not a lot of in between. :)

      Delete
  8. Even though I do love roses they are not my favorites. I like all kinds of flowers and plants but gladiolus are my favorite. They shoot to the stars with their beautiful colors and blooms. Almost like they are reaching to your heart.

    angelheart618@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are gorgeous. Hmm… I don't think I've met a flower I DIDN'T like. ;)

      Delete
  9. Number one is probably Iris, but I also love it when the Snowdrops, Crocus & Hyacinth pop up in the spring (tho we've still got so much snow on the ground, and expecting more, that I wonder when we'll ever see the grass again). And I love Lily of the Valley too.

    sallans d at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to have some indoor flowers recently. I just couldn't take all the snow, so I bought a Hyacinth bulb. It's amazing how it perfumed the entire first floor of the house. (Probably too overpowering for an office or apartment, but what a hopeful scent.)

      Delete
  10. Carnations are my favorite but I have been very proud of the fact that the past few years I have been able to get both my African Violets and Zygo Cactus to bloom more than once. I tend to have iris and poppies in the garden and the few roses that have been hardy enough to survive the triple digit temps...some of them have such a wonderful scent! Thanks for sharing all of the beautiful pictures and for the giveaway!

    elewkf1 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my gosh! I totally forgot about poppies! I love them!!! I've never had any luck with African Violets, but I love how soft the leaves are. I might be able to pull off a cactus. I haven't killed my aloe vera or jade plants. :)

      Delete
  11. My favorite flower is a gardenia and thank goodness we can grow them here in our drought-ridden California valley! I love the scent and the pristine white color against the dark green leaves. My wedding bouquet was of gardenias 35 years ago. :-) Thanks for asking! jdh2690@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardenias smell amazing too! A bouquet of gardenias would be beautiful!

      Delete
  12. I commented on Facebook when I should have commented here. So, I'm pasting in my thoughts:

    I live in southwest Florida and can honestly say that my favorite flower is the hibiscus. There are so many colors and the hybrids are multi-colors. Until I moved into a condo here, I used to raise them and had them planted all around the house. There is a hibiscus show here each February where local growers show and sell their plants. Some of the color combinations of the hybrids are breath-taking! My plants would have blooms the size of a dinner plate. Occasionally, people would drive by and stop and ask me about them. I always picked several for them to take home. The blooms last for 24 hours and should not be put in water. Beautiful!

    Here's a post from the 2010 show here showing the winners. By the way, the show is in June not February. http://tropicalhibiscus.com/2010FtMyers/2010FtMyers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the link earlier, and those are some marvelous blooms. I've loved hibiscus ever since I visited Hawaii. :)

      Delete
  13. lilies

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love lilies. They are my absolute fave. I love stargazers the best.
    countessofmar(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they great? I can't wait to get out in the garden, at least until the mosquitos attack. ;D

      Delete
  15. I got the Duke already but just wanted to share favorite flowers!!
    Nemophila: Baby Blue Eyes and Insgnis are my favorite! But of course Irises and Lavenders are also a great favorite of mines. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet little flower! I had to look it up because I haven't heard of it. :)

      Delete
  16. I have two favorite flowers. Daisies and Daffodils.

    ReplyDelete