Our Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

Fave Friday: Favorite Laugh-Out-Loud Scenes

I've fallen for a few April Fool's pranks, although nothing too elaborate. My favorite was when I worked at Rice University as editor of the university magazine and the student newspaper did a spoof edition of my mag. It was hilarious! Like much of my memorabilia, the copy I saved for years drowned in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, but I still remember how hard it made me laugh.

Fiction gives us some great LOL moments, and doesn't have to wait until April Fools Day.

I put the question up to my fellow Lady Scribes. For Jennifer Lohmann, her favorite fictional LOL moment came from Lois McMaster Bujold's A Civil Campaign: "It has this scene with a dinner party and butter bugs (trust me on this)," she says. "The first time I read the scene, I laughed so hard I cried. And I read that book almost once a year now, each time with loud guffaws of laughter."

I tried to come up with my top five, and here's the list I came up with, in no order.

* A T-Rex named Sue. In Dead Beat, the seventh book in Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series, Harry's desperately trying to find a way to head off an army of zombies and finds his answer in the t-rex skeleton in Chicago's Field Museum. He reanimates Sue, rides her out of the museum, and goes on a warped cowboy-zombie-dinosaur ride through Chicago, going north to Evanston, stomping cars and crashing buildings along the way. Then Sue has quite a feast of zombies. It's so over the top that it's hilarious.

* Another Dresden favorite moment comes in Summer Knight, when Harry and Murphy are accosted in a suburban Chicago Walmart, where a vaguely human-shaped plant monster emerges from the plants in the garden shop and send our heroes on quite a chase before they finally escape when Murph powers up a chainsaw to demolish it, saving Harry's bacon. Later in the series, we learn it's called a Chlorofiend, but the whole Walmart garden shop scene is hilarious.

* In Living Dead in Dallas, Charlaine Harris' Sookie, thinking vampire Eric is in mortal danger, follows his pleas to suck the bullet out of his chest and shoulder so they won't poison him. He enjoys it a little too much, she thinks, but her horror when she learns the bullets would have popped out on their own is priceless.

*In JK Rowling's Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, the much-hated Delores Umbridge gets hers when she's dragged into the Forbidden Forest by a gang of centaurs. It couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

*Most scenes involving Vishous and Butch in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Well, let me clarify...the scenes with V and Butch will either make you laugh out loud or will break your heart. Not much in between.

How about you? Share a favorite LOL moment from a favorite book, and be entered for a $5 gift card to your book retailer of choice!

21 comments:

  1. I love this topic! I had so many LOL moments reading Shopaholic. One of my favorites is when the lies on her resume and says she can speak Finnish. She reasons everyone lies a little bit to make themselves sound better. Well, her interview happens to be with the Bank of Finland and they only speak Finnish. So funny! Then she receives a really long follow up letter that is probably cursing her out, but since she can't read it, all the reader sees is "Finnish Finnish Finnish…" I laughed until I cried.

    Is it weird to say I also LOL writing some of the scenes in my books? I don't know if I crack up anyone else, but I find myself hilarious some times. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha--I love the Finnish story! And I hope it isn't weird to LOL at your own scenes, because I sure do. I know if I have to stop writing to laugh, I have a good scene on my hands--it's usually one that almost writes itself :-)

      Delete
  2. Some of my favorite laughable moments have come from the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum books; here is on dieting from Lula

    "I'm only getting one doughnut," Lula said, getting out of the Firebird. "I'm on a new diet where I only have one of anything. Like I can have one pea. And I can have one piece of asparagus. And I can have one loaf of bread."
    -- Sizzling Sixteen
    temptnfate13 at yahoo dot come

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha… I like that kind of diet. :)

      Delete
    2. All of Lula's diet plans have been classic

      Delete
    3. Oh, I'm glad you mentioned the Stephanie Plum series. I don't think there's a single one of those books that hasn't made me laugh out loud at least once--usually more than once. Even know when I think about Steph running over Joe Morelli on the sidewalk in book one, it makes me giggle. And Lula is a riot :-)

      Delete
  3. Well, the sausage contest in your latest book, Samantha, was pretty funny and definitely had me laughing out loud.
    I can remember having tears rolling down my face when reading Rose Gordon's Liberty for Paul during the family luncheon where the term "Love Musket" was introduced.
    Shana Galen's True Spies had a very laugh at loud moment that featured Prinny and breaking china.
    But one of the funniest books I have ever read was Susanna Ives' Wicked Little Secrets. Without giving away too much of the book let's just say there is an extraordinarily funny scene that involves angle wings, cross dressing and an auction full of mostly drunken men. I was glad I read that scene at home as I was laughing so hard I could barely catch a breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now I have to check out Wicked Little Secrets--that sounds hilarious!

      Delete
  4. the things the heroine's mom says in falling for the ghost of you by Nicole Christie

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another one I haven't read--I need to write these down for next time I need a funny read!

      Delete
  5. I love grandma Mazur and all the comments that Stephanie's dad makes under his breath about grandma. When grandma shot the turkey in One for the Money, I laughed so hard that I had tears! Janet Evanivich's books have great humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma Mazur is hilarious! I can't remember which book it was without looking it up, but she was into some shenanigans at the nursing home and opening coffins that had me in the floor :-)

      Delete
  6. Hum the first that come to my mind it's the "Kitty Kitty Kitty" scene in Magic burn from ilona andrews^^ then as a whole book Demon Hunting in Dixie had me laughing nearly all alon,g ( i love the dog speaking ^^ jalous of the faerie cat^^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started reading this series...finally! And Lexi George's whole Demon Hunting series is hilarious :-)

      Delete
  7. Jim Butcher's forum just sent out a notice that Harry Dresden will be made into a Broadway musical with Hugh Jackman as Harry Dresden. Of course, this was his annual April Fool's Day post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. And of course I'm reading your comment going, "Really? Really?" April Fool's!

      Delete
  8. LOVE the T-Rex scene in the Dresden book! That was always one of my favorite things to visit whenever I'd go to the field museum so having it in the book was so cool for me. And I agree with the V + Butch scenes. Its always one or the other. I'm laughing or crying with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, sounds like we're in the same boat with Butch and V--and Sue the T-Rex!

      Delete
  9. One funny scene that has stuck with me is in Sandy Blair's A Highlander for Christmas when Claire sees a newscast Cameron "saving" a reindeer from a manger display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I haven't read this but I need to just for that scene. I guess the "reindeer" would be confusing!

      Delete
  10. I was pretty happy when Umbridge got dragged into to the Forbidden Forest too. Serves her right!!

    ReplyDelete