Our Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

Fave Friday: Our Favorite Fictional Siblings

Me and my big ideas! Since yesterday was "National Siblings Day," I thought it might be fun to talk about our favorite fictional siblings....and then had trouble thinking of any.

Thanks to Samantha Grace, whose first historical romancer read was Johanna Lindsey's books featuring the Mallory siblings. "I fell in love with that family, which I know is what inspired me to write about siblings," she says. "I grew up with two younger brothers and I have a half sister that I didn't live with except when I was in college. I always wanted to be part of a large family, but not enough to give birth to twelve kids!"

Uh, yeah....I hear you on that one! I've written some siblings into my work as well--most notably the Delachaise twins, Rene and Robert, in River Road. Jake and Alex Warin are first cousins only two years apart in age and grew up together, so I consider them almost brothers.

The first siblings I remember reading about were the Bobbsey Twins. I loved Flossie and Freddie and Bert and Nan.


The Five Little Peppers! Because poor, struggling families were always fun to read about, right?


And, of course, Little Women. I used to pretend I was Jo, eating apples and writing in a garrett, although I'm pretty sure I didn't know what that was at the time.

Scarlett O'Hara's sisters were such pale, undeveloped characters I barely remember them.

In more contemporary works, I love the growing relationship between Harry Dresden and his half-brother Thomas. Did you know about this print novella released a few years ago by Subterranean Press? It's told from Thomas's point of view!

And, er....I read mostly paranormal these days and they're filled with loners. Hm. Might be a topic for another day.

So, weigh in for a shot at a pair of either one of my books or a pair of mystery print books from my towering TBR mountain! I'll announce the winner in this space next Friday!

8 comments:

  1. like the Mallory family by Johanna Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was Samantha's favorite too--I don't think I ever ready any Johanna Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first that came to mind when I saw siblings was Harry and Thomas. Even though they fight a lot. Or the Weasley's like Sandy said. Oh or the Starks from Game of Thrones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, how did I forget the Weasleys!? They're great.

    And, shameful admission, I haven't read GoT or watched the TV show, BUT I just started it. I have read one chapter so my list of characters is admittedly still very limited :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Curtis brothers in The Outsiders! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loretta Chase's Carsingtons & Sabrina Jeffreys' Sharpe family from he Hellions of Hallstead Hall series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the Mallory's, too; they have such great interactions! I also really like Larissa Ione's Seminus brothers and Four Horsemen siblings; Sherilyn Kenyon's Kattalakis brothers and the whole Peltier clan; Kresley Cole's Valkyrie "sisters"; Mary Balogh's Huxtable and Bedwyn siblings; Grace Burrowes' Windham siblings; and Lisa Kleypas's Hathaway siblings.

    ReplyDelete