Our Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

What's up, Wednesday?

This week's question…
The RT Convention is happening right now in New Orleans. If you've been to New Orleans, what was one of your favorite things about the city? If you haven't been, what would you most want to see/do there?

I've been to New Orleans once before, for an American Libraries Association conference. The city was awesome and I didn't get to see enough of it. I loved the food and I especially loved the clothing store The Trashy Diva.
~Jennifer Lohmann 

New Orleans is my hometown! I lived there for fifteen years, and was there during Hurricane Katrina. I moved away for family reasons a few years ago but am thinking about moving back in 2017 when I leave the day job to write full-time (or that's the plan). I have so many favorites: living in the city is very different from visiting, so most of my favorite things are not in the French Quarter....living on the neutral grounds uptown for the entire last week of Mardi Gras...Going to the Destrehan Fall Festival at the Destrehan Plantation...Jean Lafitte National Park and Wildlife Refuge in Barataria...The Black Velvet Oyster Bar in Buras or L'il Gs in Belle Chasse... Pimm's Cups at the Napoleon House....Eating a Jacques-Imo's uptown...on and on and on!
~Suzanne Johnson , who will DEFINITELY be at RT

I grew up going to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. One of my mother's good friends lived there, so my mom would take us out of school every year for a few days and we would head down to the Big Easy to celebrate. As an adult, I discovered my husband loved New Orleans just as much as I do. I love the off the beaten path truly local joints, the amazingly friendly people, the beautiful architecture and the diversity of the people you meet when you are there. My husband is coming with me to the RT convention this year, and we are looking forward to going to some of our favorite places like The Court of Two Sisters!

~ Julie Johnstone


What about you, Lady Scribes readers, is there something we're missing seeing in New Orleans?

1 comment:

  1. i would love all the place Suzanne describes in her books if i ever go one day to New Orleans

    ReplyDelete